Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #1

Not just lurking anymore...

Hello all,

I have been snooping around for about week, looking at lenses and reviews. Time to join the party and say hello.

I bought my K-5 a couple years ago. I am ready to upgrade my kit 18-55 but am more confused and undecided than ever. I want to go Pentax but they don't always seem as good or affordable as the third party offerings.

Looking forward to your help and seeing you on the forums.

Cheers, Kelly

03-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Kelly, and welcome to the forums!

As for an upgrade, trying to identify your needs is a good starting point. What is you feel is lacking with the 18-55? In what situations do you find that it can't do the job for you?

And the good and affordable bit; the big brands can offer you a wider choice of lenses, but you generally have to choose either good lenses or affordable lenses. I don't think any brand will give you both. The best lenses will always be expensive.

But you should definitely look at what kind of photography you are going to do before investing too much in a brand. Different brands tend to have different strengths.
03-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Kelly ... looks like savoche has given you some good advice; find your needs and hunt for what's available ... also do not limit your search only to auto-focus lenses; there's a wonderful world of manual focus lenses to be explored ... hope to see an image soon ... Salut, J
03-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your images. Be sure to check out the Marketplace.

03-24-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Kelly! Welcome.

Something like 66,000 members and you're the first one who actually thought of 'Say Cheese'. Hah Hah Hah!! Very Good!

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2014 at 07:37 AM.
03-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

What kind of photography work do you want to do better? Don't be afraid to jump to another manufacturer. The 17-70 range lenses from Sigma etc. are good from what I've read. The 18-135 is a step up from the kit lens, it's quick, quiet and WR.

Budget, of course, is a concern. That's what research is for! The lens reviews here are a great resource.
03-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, we're all really good here at advice and more importantly helping you spend your money.

06-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank-you all for the warm welcome, sorry I have not replied sooner...

So, my latest Ireland adventure chapter is closed and I need to pay for it and plan for the next adventure.

I am still unhappy with my 18-55 kit lens and am itching for an upgrade. I am also very, VERY tempted by the great deals being offered by B&H on the K-3 with grip and flash. My worries revolve around buying from the USA whilst living in Canada and any potential warranty issues.

As for lenses, this is what I have concluded by the reviews here and elsewhere...
- The Sigma 17-70 'C' seems a really good kit lens replacement and everyday lens.
- The Sigma 35 F1.4 would make a great, fast, prime addition.

The bugaboo to the above was today's announced release of the Sigma 18-35 F1.4 Art later this month for Pentax mount....Damn!! Now what to do??

On the longer side, I plan to look for a bargain on:
- Pentax DA* 60-250 F4 or,
- Sigma 70-200 F2.8

BTW, as for shooting style, I like...
landscape, night and would like to explore street

Thanks again for all your advice,
Kelly

---------- Post added 06-11-14 at 06:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi Kelly! Welcome.

Something like 66,000 members and you're the first one who actually thought of 'Say Cheese'. Hah Hah Hah!! Very Good!
It's a rather 'cheesy' name and I have to say I was quite surprised myself it was not taken yet...
06-11-2014, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For street shooting you might get more use out of a wider lens, and some of the lenses you're looking at are huge - which can make people defensive. You have identified a few really nice choices, though.