Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Old Canon User

I thought I'd introduce myself to the community. I once had aspirations of becoming a professional photographer, but as it turns out life had different plans for me. I've been taking pictures since my early teens and I absolutely love photography. I took a few online classes @ AIP (Art Institute of Pittsburgh) , but school was never my forte. Even though I maintained a 4.0 average I've never been one to follow through with much of anything. Photography is my mainstay, however. After I sold my gear several years ago I used P & S cameras as well as camera phones to help satisfy the need to capture images. I love landscape and nature photography and even portraiture, but being limited to point and shoot cameras I've found myself needing (wanting) more advanced equipment.

My old setup consisted of a Canon Rebel xs and a couple prime lenses. The Canon system was o.k, but the ergonomics were not ideal. Plus it just felt cheaply made. To make a short story shorter ... I'm looking to get back in the game again, but this time as an enthusiast. Pure pleasure shooting! Pentax seems to be my best option when it comes to gear, which is why I'm here. I'll be creating a thread soon outlining my needs, what I'm able to afford, and to ask about the most suitable options concerning Pentax gear. I have a few months before I'm even able to buy, so I'm here to learn first and foremost. After a few months, I'll be in the market for new equipment. Until then, I hope to learn from you all.

JZM

03-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome! *waves*

There is a lot which could be learned from this site. However, one thought would be to take the 'News and rumors' forum half-heartedly since there is a lot of talk and not a lot of facts present there ('I heard from a guy who sells cameras that..' 'My insider says we will see X and Y by end of the year...' etc hehehe). All other forums on the site are fairly fantastic, I find!!

I bring that up since I see newcomers to the site complain that X or Y didn't happen when they read them in the 'news and rumors' forum.. but that part of the site is mostly news of rumors and not news and rumors.

Hope you enjoy your stay and please investigate the 'Lenses' section of the forum -- lots of information there that can be tied together with the Lens Club threads in the Lenses forum where lots of sample photos of each lens are taken. Handy.
03-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Welcome! *waves*

There is a lot which could be learned from this site. However, one thought would be to take the 'News and rumors' forum half-heartedly since there is a lot of talk and not a lot of facts present there ('I heard from a guy who sells cameras that..' 'My insider says we will see X and Y by end of the year...' etc hehehe). All other forums on the site are fairly fantastic, I find!!

I bring that up since I see newcomers to the site complain that X or Y didn't happen when they read them in the 'news and rumors' forum.. but that part of the site is mostly news of rumors and not news and rumors.

Hope you enjoy your stay and please investigate the 'Lenses' section of the forum -- lots of information there that can be tied together with the Lens Club threads in the Lenses forum where lots of sample photos of each lens are taken. Handy.

I've been lurking for a couple days now and skimmed through both the rumors section and lens sections. The 77 mm f/1.8 limited looks like a fine lens. That's one of three I have my eye on. The others being the 31 mm f/1.8 limited and the Sigma 18-35 mm f/1.8. I think all will likely pair well with the k-5 iis, which is the body I'm leaning towards at the moment. I'd prefer them to be WR, but I can pick up a WR lens later for more inclement weather situations. I love the k-3, but I'm thinking the k-5 iis is plenty of camera for me right now. I'm just not sure which lens to purchase first or to even get the 31 mm at all, being I plan on purchasing the sigma at some point.
03-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I sure that that plenty of folk will be be able to offer all sorts of helpful advice, when it comes to spending your money.