Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Hello from Texas

Hello from Texas
I have been a long time pentax camera user. My first real camera was a PZ 10. Over the past 15 years I did not spend a lot of time taking photographs. Now that kids are older I found my self wanting to take up a hobby for myself. For Christmas this year my wife bought me a new toy. I am now the proud owner of a K-5ii. I can't wait for summer so I will have time to spend taking photos and traveling.
I enjoy reading and look at the stuff on the forum. Bruce

03-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it wont be long now 'till you put her through her paces, remember she is WR and can be used still in less than perfect conditions too.
03-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Bruce! What do you mean summer? We haven't had spring yet! Looking forward to seeing your images.
03-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, it wont be long now 'till you put her through her paces, remember she is WR and can be used still in less than perfect conditions too.
Yes very excited about WR trying figure out what lens to buy. My birthday was 2 weeks ago and I tneed a present.

03-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Welcome to the forum Bruce! What do you mean summer? We haven't had spring yet! Looking forward to seeing your images.
Summer comes early to Texas. It was 80 degrees today, we visited the local zoo so I could use my camera. Just wish my photos were half as good as the ones I see on the forum. Maybe one day I will feel my stuff is worth showing others.
03-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bclaz Quote
Summer comes early to Texas. It was 80 degrees today, we visited the local zoo so I could use my camera. Just wish my photos were half as good as the ones I see on the forum. Maybe one day I will feel my stuff is worth showing others.
We're expecting 3 in of snow tonight. Don't worry about your photos not being as good as you'd like, but we'd like to see them anyway.
03-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the Forum. Great birthday present, but that K-5II is not a toy. It is one of top five cropped sensor cameras you can buy. It is also a very dangerous camera for a hobbyist, as it will fit hundreds of different lenses that you may be tempted to buy! :>)

03-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Welcome! I live west of Ft Worth, which is a much better place than Big D () but I do like your skyline better!

Ft Worth

Big D

Some seriously good places to shoot in both cities! Haven't been to the Dallas Zoo since I was a kid, but theFt Worth Zoo is one of the best in the nation, you might check it out sometime too. A great layout for shooters!

When I was new to a DSLR, my favorite and most useful lens was in the 18-250 range. You could get most anything with that range and if you are "out and about" it is very handy not to have to carry more lenses or change them on a windy day. Pentax has some nice ones in this range, as does Tamron and Sigma.
When you get comfortable and more serious, the Pentax primes are unsurpassed for fantastic high IQ.

Best wishes and if you need help, people are friendly and helpful here....very unlike some other places where they shred a new guy just for fun. We're not like that here!

Best Regards!
Rupert
03-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Welcome! I live west of Ft Worth, which is a much better place than Big D () but I do like your skyline better!

Ft Worth

Big D

Some seriously good places to shoot in both cities! Haven't been to the Dallas Zoo since I was a kid, but theFt Worth Zoo is one of the best in the nation, you might check it out sometime too. A great layout for shooters!

When I was new to a DSLR, my favorite and most useful lens was in the 18-250 range. You could get most anything with that range and if you are "out and about" it is very handy not to have to carry more lenses or change them on a windy day. Pentax has some nice ones in this range, as does Tamron and Sigma.
When you get comfortable and more serious, the Pentax primes are unsurpassed for fantastic high IQ.

Best wishes and if you need help, people are friendly and helpful here....very unlike some other places where they shred a new guy just for fun. We're not like that here!

Best Regards!
Rupert
I really like your photo of the ft worth skyline. We were just there last week for a doctor visit for my daughter. The Dallas zoo is much improved most of it has been redone over the past 10 years. We visited the ftworth zoo last year with the kids,they really like it. I think my youngest enjoyed the train more than the zoo itself.

I agree the 18-250 zoom would be great if it were an WR. I really would like my everyday lense to be WR.
03-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Bruce ... hope to see some K-5ii images soon ... Salut, J
03-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Bclaz Quote
I agree the 18-250 zoom would be great if it were an WR. I really would like my everyday lense to be WR.
Here in Texas WR is about as important as tire chains for our snow! Might help on the dust, but it appears we aren't ever going to see enough rain again to get wet. Look at those lake levels......going down more every day.

Regards!