Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

Coming from Nikon world

Have used both Canon and Nikons extensively. Thought of giving pentax a shot due to availability of lenses relatively cheaper and folks in my family shoot pentax. Picked up an old K20D and liking it so far. Will take time to adjust to the menu systems. Do u guys know any link in the forum that would make this transition easier...no semi auto modes on this thing which I only used for Macro work mostly on other cameras...

04-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One nice feature of Pentax cameras is you can switch to shutter priority or aperture priority without leaving P mode, simply by turning the e-dial corresponding to the exposure setting you'd like to change. On the mode dial, Tv otherwise corresponds to S or shutter priority or Av corresponds to A or aperture priority.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One nice feature of Pentax cameras is you can switch to shutter priority or aperture priority without leaving P mode, simply by turning the e-dial corresponding to the exposure setting you'd like to change. On the mode dial, Tv otherwise corresponds to S or shutter priority or Av corresponds to A or aperture priority.
Thanks...still playing with it and manual is very helpful of course
04-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks, Adam. I did not know that, although I did know that it works that way on my MZ-S.

04-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desiboston Quote
Picked up an old K20D and liking it so far
It's a great camera; I still use mine quite a bit. I prefer its ergonomics to that of the K-5, and its image quality is fine. It's especially nice to use with the battery grip. Enjoy!
04-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I like TAv mode for most shooting. Front wheel for shutter speed, rear for aperture and keep the ISO in a range you're comfortable with. Otherwise, just start digging through the forums. Most of the K5 forum will be applicable to the K20, controls are essentially the same but you have less ISO. Also Photographic Technique is a great place.
04-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Coming from Nikon world
Welcome to the forum and to Pentax, I'm a Nikon defector myself many years ago.
04-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

no semi auto modes on this thing which I only used for Macro work mostly on other cameras...
What do you mean by semi auto modes? I don't think any modes are missing on the K20D.

04-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi desiboston, this guide helped me when I got my K20D last year:

Pentax K20D Guide

I came *this* close to getting a Nikon instead. No regrets my favorite thing is the compatibility with 70s and 80s lenses (K, M and A series). Great optics for little money (in the case of more common lenses, of course - rare lenses will cost you).
04-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Hi desiboston, this guide helped me when I got my K20D last year:

Pentax K20D Guide

I came *this* close to getting a Nikon instead. No regrets my favorite thing is the compatibility with 70s and 80s lenses (K, M and A series). Great optics for little money (in the case of more common lenses, of course - rare lenses will cost you).
Thank you so much for the support and welcome...My viewfinder is not sharp and hazy...I am ok with specks but I cannot sometimes even see the focus points. Diopter is adjusted appropriately. Is there a way to make it brighter...I wear glasses and that does not help either. I purchased a seperate cup eye piece which has not arrived yet. I am comparing it to my Nikon D90...any suggestions?

04-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
What do you mean by semi auto modes? I don't think any modes are missing on the K20D.
I was talking about the Landscape, Portrait, Macro etc...
04-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The auto modes tell the camera which settings to use - or more accurately, what ranges to use. In macro, not to try to focus long, to use a specific aperture and concentrate on center metering and focus. In a bridge camera it also tells the lens how to operate. On a standard DSLR you'll have to do this on your own. Part of this is knowing how to use the lenses you have and part is how to use the camera settings.

It's more work, but you do learn a lot about the camera and will quickly learn how to use and even push the equipment you have.
04-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I was talking about the Landscape, Portrait, Macro etc...
Oh. We call those "beginner modes".

---------- Post added 2014-04-04 at 08:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
In macro, not to try to focus long, to use a specific aperture and concentrate on center metering and focus.
Most macro shooters use manual focus and focus by moving their bodies back and forth until focus is achieved.
04-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Oh. We call those "beginner modes".

---------- Post added 2014-04-04 at 08:15 ----------

Most macro shooters use manual focus and focus by moving their bodies back and forth until focus is achieved.
I meant what a compact or bridge camera does in "macro mode."

Oh - and that method works well in studio, but not so much in the field taking images of insects constantly moving around. In the studio, a macro rail is the way to go, and autofocus is irrelevant. With bees? I need autofocus...others might have more manual focus-fu than me, though.
04-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The auto modes tell the camera which settings to use - or more accurately, what ranges to use. In macro, not to try to focus long, to use a specific aperture and concentrate on center metering and focus. In a bridge camera it also tells the lens how to operate. On a standard DSLR you'll have to do this on your own. Part of this is knowing how to use the lenses you have and part is how to use the camera settings.

It's more work, but you do learn a lot about the camera and will quickly learn how to use and even push the equipment you have.
This is great. I do understand the aperture shutter iso and
White balance. So when do you use the 3 different metering modes?