Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

New K-50, new to Pentax

I'm new to Pentax DSLRs, with lots of experience with Canon & Nikon DSLRs as well as M43 cameras. I just received my K-50 two lens kit from B&H today (with a 50 1.8 on the way) and spent about a half hour shooting at dusk with the 18-55. Simple stuff, just getting used to the layout and controls. It has a very nice feel in the hands, and my middle-age eyes love the viewfinder and layout.

One of the draws was using older Pentax lenses with the camera's IBIS (along with weather sealing). I'm looking for a good inexpensive macro lens (yep, spring is bursting out in the southern Appalachians I call home, and the wildflowers are just starting to bud). Manual focus older lenses are more than welcome -- that's part of the attraction to me. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

04-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! This A-series lens is an affordable way to get a 1:1 macro lens:
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello MountainMutt, welcome to the Forum!
Adam's given you a fine choice, there aren't too many good true macros for under $200 used. And new? $500 and up. Way up.
As you probably know, most macro lenses are either 1:1 or 1:2 mag ratio. Generally, the under $200's are 1:2, half life-sized.
For now, I'm overlooking extension tubes and mag diopters, just native lenses.
Looking at A/F 1:1's, the Sigma 70mm (new or used), Tamron 90mm, older Tokina 90-100mm's (Tokina no longer makes lenses in K-mount, but they did in the past) and a few others would be worth looking at. I've seen most of these (used) for around $300-$350.
In M/F, the Pentax M (manual aperture, manual focus, learn the green button!) 100mm f/4.0 is 1:2, sharp, heavy and easily available.
The Pentax A series added auto aperture (very handy!) but are still cheaper than the A/F versions.
Many older Vivitar Series 1, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina macros are 1:1, manual focus, auto-aperture depends on age. Nearly all are available in K-mount.
Personally, I like the 90-100mm range better than the fifties, keeps more distance between you and skittish critters like butterflies, bees, etc.
The lens review section is a great help here, once you get a recommendation that appeals to you, read up on it. User reviews and sample photos are the best!
Good luck,
Ron
04-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I have lots of experience with Canon and Nikon (and Sigma and Tokina for N mount) macro lenses, both 1:1 and 1:2ish varieties. It's great to see such depth in the Pentax/3rd party macro lineup, as well as the useful reviews in this forum. Now I have a good idea of what to look for on the used market.

04-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, MountainMutt ... hope to see some K-50 and macro images soon ... Salut, J
04-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new camera kit.
04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by MountainMutt Quote
I'm new to Pentax DSLRs, with lots of experience with Canon & Nikon DSLRs as well as M43 cameras. I just received my K-50 two lens kit from B&H today (with a 50 1.8 on the way) and spent about a half hour shooting at dusk with the 18-55. Simple stuff, just getting used to the layout and controls. It has a very nice feel in the hands, and my middle-age eyes love the viewfinder and layout.

One of the draws was using older Pentax lenses with the camera's IBIS (along with weather sealing). I'm looking for a good inexpensive macro lens (yep, spring is bursting out in the southern Appalachians I call home, and the wildflowers are just starting to bud). Manual focus older lenses are more than welcome -- that's part of the attraction to me. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I just bought the same kit a few months ago and so far so good. However, I don't have your experience so I'm sure you'll get a lot more of it than I will.
04-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome from Kansas.