Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

New to cameras

Hi all. Just got a MX and a ME Super....am totally a noob to cameras that are NOT automatic.....
So will need some help...

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 11:17 PM ----------

First question - is T mount and m42 mount the same?

What kind of adaptors do I need for my K mount cameras? There seems to be 2 main types (Chinese made ones) and another that says T mount...can I use the T mount to K?

04-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure I remember reading here somewhere, that it was worth getting the proper Pentax branded adaptors as the they are a better fit.

But hey, my memory is just rubbish these days, a clever soul will be along shortly with a proper answer for you.
04-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome.

"First question - is T mount and m42 mount the same? " To simplify.

No they are not the same. T mount is a kind of universal mount to adapt a camera to, for example, a telescope or some other accessories.

M 42 is the old Pentax threaded mount. It was used for many years on almost all cameras right up until the introduction of the present K bayonet mount which is used on all present day Pentax K cameras. It has electrical contacts for the automatic features of today's Pentax digital cameras.

Adapters are available to use T mounts and M 42 mounts on K mount cameras but the automatic features will be disabled.

Beware. Some adapters will completely disable a K camera. Pentax adapters are always safe but there are other good makes available.

Mickey

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/256914-new-came...#ixzz2y8LwbyPy
04-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Welcome.

"First question - is T mount and m42 mount the same? " To simplify.

No they are not the same. T mount is a kind of universal mount to adapt a camera to, for example, a telescope or some other accessories.

M 42 is the old Pentax threaded mount. It was used for many years on almost all cameras right up until the introduction of the present K bayonet mount which is used on all present day Pentax K cameras. It has electrical contacts for the automatic features of today's Pentax digital cameras.

Adapters are available to use T mounts and M 42 mounts on K mount cameras but the automatic features will be disabled.

Beware. Some adapters will completely disable a K camera. Pentax adapters are always safe but there are other good makes available.

Mickey

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/256914-new-came...#ixzz2y8LwbyPy
Thank you Mickey and Kerrydown. That's helpful!
Now to hunt for a Pentax adaptor

04-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, yellow_v_max ... hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
04-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fotodiox has a decent T-K adapter. There are others, sure - just search on B&H and Amazon.