Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

New to pentaxforums

By default I have been a pentax camera user for over 35 years. I used the ME super with what I thought was good succes using a 50mm manual focus lens, and a 28-50mm manual focus zoom, and a 80-200mm zoom. I do a lot of macro photography to record images of my jewelry creations. One jeweller was so impressed with my pictures he bought my camera. So some of my creations did not get recorded. I finally purchased another pentax a program plus this time. Both were purchased used. The pictures from the program plus had a line going across many if not most or all of the pictures.
I have not yet figured out what was or is the cause of it. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help. I have been using my 28-50mm zoom as my go to lens for macro as I could always zoom to crop the pictures. I was always happy with the results even with the pictures taken on my k20 which I bought new for $450.00 which I am still using happily. Earlier this year I made a ring with small diamonds and I was very disappointed as I could not capture the beauty of the ring. The focusing was just not as sharp as I wanted. So that led me to research and development. So now I have added to my macro tools a very steady professional Ravelli tripod, a velbron super mag slider, a 12 inch light tent, 800 watt equivalent florescent light bulbs, a pentax 35mm DA 35mm Macro, a pentax 100mm F Macro, a pentax M 100 f4 macro, and a pentax 50mm F macro. With all this equipment together with the right lighting I am getting much better results. Still another phenomena has me stumped. In Iphoto when I first open a picture it seems to go into focus and then out of focus. Am I missing something or is it just that iphoto is adjusting to the actual recorded image. I am doing everything in raw now.

04-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome, and thanks for the intro! Sounds like you have got yourself the proper equipment for making good macros.

I don't use iPhoto, but I would think that the sharp image you see first is the jpeg preview picture that is embedded in the raw file. Then, when the raw file had been loaded that is the one you see. And while the preview has been sharpened and whatnot in camera, the raw has not. Then again, I might be wrong...

I would post a question over in the Photo Software section and see if someone over there can help: Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com
04-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The jpg preview to RAW is what's likely happening. In Picasa (which I'm now using as an image viewer) the RAW does the same thing.

I'd think with your setup, if you set your aperture to a nice sharp setting like f8-ish you should be able to get razor sharp images of jewelry.
I'd wonder whether something got damaged, but the camera's pretty rugged. Maybe it needs a focus adjustment? Have a look in the forum here for focus calibration setups - you can make one simply enough for what you're doing.
04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, it sounds like you've got all the kit to do the job, you may in time want to consider upgrading your PP software to something that gives you more control.

04-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your images. If you're ready to upgrade your PP software I might suggest Lightroom. It was designed for photographers, it's fairly easy to learn, gives you lots of control, and will help you get the best out of your images.
04-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your encouraging words and advise. I look forward to improving my photography skills.
04-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Pentax f 100mm f2.8 Macro

I am having trouble getting this lens to auto focus. I have adjusted the k20 to +10 and still is not right on yet. Does any one have any suggestions?