Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentaxian from Saskatchewan

Hi,
I am a K-50 and MX-1 user, as well as a Fuji X100. Love photography. Love Pentax.

04-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, it's a big province, which part of it are you from? I don't know about you, but I find it hard to get inspired when everything is brown and wet. Like Paul Simon wrote, give me those greens of summer!
04-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! You're going to get the ducks which winter over down here in Northern Illinois pretty soon, I imagine.

That's a pretty potent trio of cameras, I'm curious how you find the Fuji vs MX in everyday use.
04-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard! You're going to get the ducks which winter over down here in Northern Illinois pretty soon, I imagine.

That's a pretty potent trio of cameras, I'm curious how you find the Fuji vs MX in everyday use.
Yes, the geese and ducks are arriving now. It is incredible to witness some of the huge flocks we get - sometimes with white geese, there can be well over 1,000.
You asked about the Fuji x100 vs the Pentax MX-1. All three of my cameras have different uses. The K-50 is for nature and wildlife. The X100 is my travel and B&W camera, and the MX-1 is the 'go everywhere with me' camera. All three take great photos and I have yet to be disappointed with any of them.
And yourself?

04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Upgraded from K10 to K5 a few years ago, it's been a trooper. I have a Q with the 01 and 02 lenses - the 01 makes it almost a rangefinder, very handy little camera. Also an older Olympus SW850 which is super-tough and small, great for just tossing in the pocket when the weather's not good or we're at some dog event and I don't want to lug the K5.

No white geese here, but loads of diving ducks in the winter. The coots are back now and will nest before too long. I did for the first time see a Sandhill Crane flying along the Fox River, I was a bit slow but managed to get one decent shot.

I'm at the point of really wanting the DA300 for better long shots. The 55-300 has been good but you know......
04-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome! Saskatoon here . . .
04-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Welcome! Saskatoon here . . .
Hi,
Saskatoon here, also. When is it going to stop raining???

---------- Post added 04-23-14 at 08:06 PM ----------

Upgraded from K10 to K5 a few years ago, it's been a trooper. I have a Q with the 01 and 02 lenses - the 01 makes it almost a rangefinder, very handy little camera. Also an older Olympus SW850 which is super-tough and small, great for just tossing in the pocket when the weather's not good or we're at some dog event and I don't want to lug the K5.

No white geese here, but loads of diving ducks in the winter. The coots are back now and will nest before too long. I did for the first time see a Sandhill Crane flying along the Fox River, I was a bit slow but managed to get one decent shot.

I'm at the point of really wanting the DA300 for better long shots. The 55-300 has been good but you know......
If I may ask, what do you feel are the main advantages of the 300mm over the 55-300mm?

---------- Post added 04-23-14 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Welcome, it's a big province, which part of it are you from? I don't know about you, but I find it hard to get inspired when everything is brown and wet. Like Paul Simon wrote, give me those greens of summer!
Also from Saskatoon. I hope I can finish building the Ark quickly, though!
04-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Advantage of the 300mm prime - it's optimized for that length and apparently has very good optics. A zoom is a compromise, and is just a bit soft at 300mm and not great at 55mm. But with the zoom you can find your subject while wide, then zoom in to isolate. The 300 will be trickier to find and track with visually since the field of view is so much narrower.

For the money the 55-300 is great. I've got some really good shots with it. But of course the temptation to get better kit is always present - even if the budget isn't.

04-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wheelerp Quote
Love photography. Love Pentax.
Welcome aboard, that's the two right reasons to be here.
04-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
Advantage of the 300mm prime - it's optimized for that length and apparently has very good optics. A zoom is a compromise, and is just a bit soft at 300mm and not great at 55mm. But with the zoom you can find your subject while wide, then zoom in to isolate. The 300 will be trickier to find and track with visually since the field of view is so much narrower.

For the money the 55-300 is great. I've got some really good shots with it. But of course the temptation to get better kit is always present - even if the budget isn't.
Thanks for the info on the 300mm. I have recently ordered the 55-300 WR and am looking forward to having a weather resistant telephoto for nature photography. Actually, being fairly new to a Pentax DSLR (a Nikon refugee), this will only be my second lens. The other is a 16-45 - pretty good zoom, albeit somewhat noisy.
04-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum.
Also from Saskatoon and also have to canoe from the house to the garage.

The ducks are back to Blackstrap (not much open water yet) and lots of Ross & Snow Geese between here and Regina on Good Friday

Jim