Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from West Virginia

Hello,

Not sure what the protocol is here as I have just joined, but I am in the process of ordereing my first DSLR and am looking for all the information I can find. I owned 2 Pentax film SLRs (K1000 and A3000. I have some lenses and that is why I an gravitating towards the Pentax DSLRs. I think (emphasize think here....) I am going to order a K200D. My wife and I have a Kodak P&S and she wants to be able to keep it simple and use the scene and auto modes. I want to be able to play around a little bit and get creative and get some really good shots like I used to get from my old SLRs. Several of the guys I work with shoot Nikon and Canon, but I like what I have been reading about the Pentaxs. Primarily, I will be using the camera for outdoor landscapes and wildlife pictures and travel/vacation (Beach/Disney World) pics. I have been on the Disney Boards talking with several folks who shoot Pentax and they turned me on to this board. looking forward to picking a few brains and finding out some solid, helpful information.

Thanks in advance to everyone!!

04-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. From everything I've read, the K200d will be a great camera for you and your family. The big danger is that your wife will want her own and you'll have to get two.
04-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks "Oldschool"!

I see you are from Philly. I did a lot of work in Philly in the early '90's when I was with Ernst & Young. I miss the cheesesteaks and Susanna Foo's.

I'll keep everyone posted on the camera purchase. Pricing the K200D with Kit lens and either the 18-200 Tamron or the 18-250 Pentax. I saw a post somewhere that the Pentax 18-250 was actually a Tamron that they had licensed? Can this be right?

Thanks!
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can't get good cheesesteaks in west virginia?? maybe we'll have to put a Jim's steak on dry ice and ship it down to ya.

04-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
We have good cheesesteaks here, just not GREAT ones! Something about standing up eating a steak and having stuff drip on the sidewalk. Nothing like Sussana Foo's though.
I also miss Rittenhouse Square. Our offices were in the "Clothespin" building downtown and I used to stay at the Rittenhouse most of the time. (I was actually living in Baltimore at the time.)
Lookin forward to picking some Pentax brains on here to help me in my return to SLR shooting.

Thanks!
05-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #6

Howdy there, BigTig

Here's originally hail from your neck of the woods, from southwestern Virginia! Though living in LA for school, I miss the beauty of our area--especially during Fall. You're just gonna have to post some wonderful landscape shots for my soul's sake!

Cheers!
05-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife used to work in the "clothespin" building, I think on the 33rd floor - Berwind Corp - about 16 years ago.

Welcome to the forum - I'm a newbie too.

05-15-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi WVBigTig
I'm right up the road from you... Ravenswood. I just joined here also. I have two older Pentax film SLR's and S1 and a MZ-50, and just bought a K100 D (haven't gotten it yet). Also, two Kodak P&S (Z700 which I really like, and a new Z712is that I want to sell!!)
Do you belong to the Charleston Photo Club? Not sure what the name is. We have one that meets the second Friday of every month at the Ripley Library at 6:30. Every other month we have a workshop and then a photo contest on the other months. Lots of good tips. Just wanted to say "HI" and welcome.