Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

How do you do?

Hi there from Wisconsin! I am brand new to Pentax. I just bought a refurbished K-3 from KEH. It won't be arriving until next week sometime. I am thrilled to be able to have bought this great camera, and now to be a part of this Pentax community!

I bought the body only, so I am actively looking for a starter lens or two.

I should mention that I am a Sony (a65) convert. I just loved that camera, but instead of going with the a77, I jumped at the chance to get a refurbished unit from KEH at a fantastic price, woohoo!

I look forward to interacting with this community, and will start today, as I am in need of a starter lens under $200.

Thanks,
Matt

04-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Matt!

Welcome to the forum (More like a guild of Pentaxians ) or a Covenant if you prefer

Share your experience with your K-3. Read the forum and good to see more and more people converting

Cheers!
04-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Matt! Looking forward to seeing your images.
04-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, a lens for the K3 eh, hang on to something solid... your about to be bombarded with lots of great suggestions as to how you should spend your money.

04-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

If you don't mind manual focus, I love my M50 1.7. What do you need? Tele, wide, macro, all in one?
04-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum.

In need for a first lens, it will all depend upon what you need:
- AF or MF?
- Prime or zoom?
- All-rounder?

For many of us (incl. myseld) an all-rounder lens is often the first lens because of the versatility: DA18-135mm, DA18-250mm (in my case).

For your budget, the original kit lens (18-55mm) may be one good start. Alternately a MF prime lens from the Marketplace or Keh.com may be an excellent value.

Look forward to see/read your contributions to the forum.
04-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from south of the border! The WR kit lens is good for the price. Take your time and learn the lineup before making decisions.
04-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Forum

Welcome to the forum. With the K-3, you are starting at the top!

Hard to know what to suggest for your first lens for $200. However, here are some suggestions and the decision will depend upon your intended use of the K-3.

Pentax-M 50 mm f 1.7 $40.00. Fully manual, so you need to read up on settings for manual lenses.
Pentax-A 50 mm f 1.7 $90-120.00. Has A ring, so you can set aperture internally instead of having to set it on the lens, and various K-3 atomated modes will work with this lens.
Auto Sears 50 mm f 2.0, $10. Can take the place of the two 50 mm lens above, and this is really a good sharp lens.
Auto Sears 135 mm f 2.8. Gives you a moderate telephoto for really cheap price, several around $20 on eBay right now.
Auto Sears 28 mm f 2.8
Pentax 18-55 mm zoom kit lens. Non-weather resistant for around $40-50, or weather resistant for around $100-125.
Helios 44-4K 58 mm f 2.0. Superb image for around $50.00.

I am just mentioning these choices to show you that you can get a nice assortment of lenses for your $200 budget amount. Also, any of the lenses mentioned above, can become part of your permanent collection. There is not a bad lens in the lot. All you are sacrificing is automatic focus and automatic aperture/shutter speed selection for those that do not have A aperture ring setting, although the kit lens above is fully automated and auto focus.

I hope this is helpful to you, and good luck in your adventure!

Last edited by ivanvernon; 04-26-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Language corrections.
04-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
Wow, I am a bit overwhelmed at the very nice responses I have received! I thank you all for your kind greetings, and especially the lens recommendations. Woohoo, I am sooo excited to get out and shoot with my new K-3! I will have to start looking for some of these specific lenses now.
I must admit, I could not be happier that I am a part of this great community. You are all so kind to one another as well, not so common in some of the other forums. I enjoy the encouragement I have seen on some of these posts that I have read. This is really my kind of place.
Thanks again, and I look forward to spending more time learning and sharing on here soon.
Matt
04-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Welcome to the forum. With the K-3, you are starting at the top!

Hard to know what to suggest for your first lens for $200. However, here are some suggestions and the decision will depend upon your intended use of the K-3.

Pentax-M 50 mm f 1.7 $40.00. Fully manual, so you need to read up on settings for manual lenses.
Pentax-A 50 mm f 1.7 $90-120.00. Has A ring, so you can set aperture internally instead of having to set it on the lens, and various K-3 atomated modes will work with this lens.
Auto Sears 50 mm f 2.0, $10. Can take the place of the two 50 mm lens above, and this is really a good sharp lens.
Auto Sears 135 mm f 2.8. Gives you a moderate telephoto for really cheap price, several around $20 on eBay right now.
Auto Sears 28 mm f 2.8
Pentax 18-55 mm zoom kit lens. Non-weather resistant for around $40-50, or weather resistant for around $100-125.
Helios 44-4K 58 mm f 2.0. Superb image for around $50.00.

I am just mentioning these choices to show you that you can get a nice assortment of lenses for your $200 budget amount. Also, any of the lenses mentioned above, can become part of your permanent collection. There is not a bad lens in the lot. All you are sacrificing is automatic focus and automatic aperture/shutter speed selection for those that do not have A aperture ring setting, although the kit lens above is fully automated and auto focus.

I hope this is helpful to you, and good luck in your adventure!
Ivan, fantastic suggestions! Just what I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out for me!

I am looking into some of these lenses now.

Thanks again,
Matt

---------- Post added 04-27-14 at 06:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome from south of the border! The WR kit lens is good for the price. Take your time and learn the lineup before making decisions.
TER-OR, thanks for the great suggestion. I was hoping that was a decent enough lens to get suggested. Now to find one for just the right price...

Thank you again,
Matt

---------- Post added 04-27-14 at 06:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Welcome to the Forum.

In need for a first lens, it will all depend upon what you need:
- AF or MF?
- Prime or zoom?
- All-rounder?

For many of us (incl. myseld) an all-rounder lens is often the first lens because of the versatility: DA18-135mm, DA18-250mm (in my case).

For your budget, the original kit lens (18-55mm) may be one good start. Alternately a MF prime lens from the Marketplace or Keh.com may be an excellent value.

Look forward to see/read your contributions to the forum.
hcc, well I think you hit the nail on the head, lol! I am trying to decide. I think I am going to start with the Sigma 17-35 2.8 that is for sale on her for $150 to start. Initially, I want a wide angle lens with enough speed to take some decent indoor pics. My daughter is getting married in July, so I will definitely be in the market for more lenses in the meantime. Since I am also officiating, I will do my shooting before and after the actual ceremony. I am hoping to get one of my teenage boys to take some pics during the ceremony.

I couldn't be more excited to get into Pentax! I mean the K-3 is such a gem. I have done my research, and no one can touch the K-3 for the combination of all that makes it such a great enthusiast's camera!

Thanks for your suggestions,
Matt

---------- Post added 04-27-14 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by schulzj Quote
If you don't mind manual focus, I love my M50 1.7. What do you need? Tele, wide, macro, all in one?
I don't mind manual focus at all. I have had my eye on the 50 1.7 for a few days now. I will have more financial freedom when I have sold off my Sony a65, lenses, and accessories.

Thanks for your help,
Matt
04-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Matt ... hope to see some K-3 images soon ... Salut, J