Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Hello from Southern IL

Hello everyone. I am just joining the Pentax forums not only to help with my first purchase of a Pentax camera but to also grow as a photographer. I have been shooting for about a year now and have started to outgrow my Canon 20D. So in my research, for what I believe to be the next step up in camera's, I have landed here at the Pentax Forums. What better way to get hands on info about Pentax cameras then from their users. I currently have my eyes on a Pentax K20D as it is in my budget. I do mostly landscaping photography, wildlife, some weddings and portraits here and there. Any input or suggestions would be very appreciated. For numerous reasons I have decided on Pentax instead of sticking with Canon or going to Nikon. One major reason in the weather sealing. Since I am on a budget and this is not my profession I have to choose wisely as my wife has a close eye to my "gadget purchases" as she calls them. I am looking forward to becoming a Pentax owner and getting to know more about photography and the ins and outs of my camera. Also would be great to make some new friends with the same interests as me

05-01-2014, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Courageous Faith ... Enjoy the forum and hope to see some Pentax images soon ... Salut, J
05-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much Jean Poitiers! I hope to be shooting with Pentax very soon. Already found a camera within the forums to purchase. So much info within these forums!! This should keep me busy for weeks....even months!
05-01-2014, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum from St. Louis!

05-02-2014, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Northern Illinois!

What's nice about the Pentax flagship bodies is their thoughtful ergonomics for manual use - which can help you be a much more technical photographer.
05-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you monochrome for the welcome. And thank you TER-OR for the welcome and insight. The more I read thru the forums and look at the Pentax camera's I get even more anxious to have one. I am in no way saying that I am dis-appointed with my Canon 20D but it served its purpose. I didn't want to go out and buy a really expensive camera just to see if photography was for me. I didn't want to be just another point and shoot, leave the camera on auto all the time, enthusiast. I'm also big on image quality and user friendly equipment. Where I have heard the K20D is not so good for long exposures and low light it will serve my general purpose of landscape and wildlife photography.I know I have lots to learn...and I am very thankful for this site. I do a lot of reading on here and looking at photos. Glad I got look further into Pentax before buying. Makes me all the more anxious. :-)
05-02-2014, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Landscape and wildlife will be fine with the K20. Long exposures are probably fine, too, as long as you can stabilize the camera on a tripod.
05-02-2014, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
and the K 20 does not look sooo different from the K5 and K3 and upgrades might be missed by the eagle eye other half. Worked for me.

05-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks again TER-OR. And also Basie.
05-05-2014, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's K20D's that I'm using just now and getting all I need from them.
05-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you Kerrowdown for the welcome! Think I am gonna end up with a K-7 for my first Pentax though. The K20D that I was looking at SOLD :-( I wouldn't be upset with a K-7 either.