Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Howdy From Western Oklahoma

Hello, I'm Kerry and the owner of a new to me K200D.

A long time ago in a galaxy not so far away I got started taking pictures with a K1000 and eventually a KX-7 never really using them to their full potential. After putting down the SLR's and going to cheep point and shoot digital about 10 years ago I decided that I wanted to take better pictures hence the K200D. I've got a few lenses from the KX-7 (Tamron AF 80-210 & Sigma Aspherical 28-80 with Macro) as well as the kit DA 18-55 II that came with the K200D. I will also be getting some older manual lenses next time I visit my dad from his K1000.

I'm glad I stumbled across your forum as the comparison section was of great help as I was trying to decide on witch model I wanted to get. Now I just have to learn how to use this wonderful new toy. Right now my goal is to learn how to take good portraits of my kids as I was not too thrilled with their school pics, eventually working up to taking action shots at shooting matches and motorcycle races.

05-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the K200. It is still a very capable camera.
05-02-2014, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Kerry, welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy your K200D, I understand it's a very capable camera to this day.
One important point about the K200D is that, it shares the same 10.2MP CCD sensor with the K10D. Since the sensor type, size and generation (along with that particular in-camera processing) creates attributes very much like a specific film type did, it may be helpful to view images taken with it.
I don't know if there's a K200D club, but here's the K10D club; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club.html
As you can see, many of us use older legacy Pentax and 3rd party lenses with this camera/sensor, especially for the rendering of colors, tones and subtle changes in light, textures; and a certain look that I find most like Kodachrome film.
But that sensor, like Kodachrome, is 'slow'. Generally the real, useable ISO range is 100 to 400, although I've seen a few images shot higher that looked pretty good. It's great for scenic, portraits, macro and timed exposures.
Not so good for sports, action and high-ISO, low-light situations. It gets noisy (grainy) fast and the grain doesn't recover with PP noise-reduction apps very well.
Not nearly as useful for those shooting situations as a newer C-MOS sensor, say a K-5 (series) or K-3.
If you work around the limitations (fast glass!) and learn the tricks and trade-offs, it's a great camera/sensor combo. But it may not do everything you've mentioned, as well as a newer camera would.
JMO,
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 05-02-2014 at 02:17 AM.
05-02-2014, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, Kerry ... Enjoy the forum (looks like Ron has given his usual very helpful input) and hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J

PS - I grew up in Tulsa

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-02-2014 at 03:49 AM.
05-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
I knew there were some limitations on the sensor when I decided on it but the other things out weighed that for me. Two of the bigest reasons I went with the K200 were the dust sealing and that it takes AA batterys. Out here in the dust bowl having it be pretty well sealed is a big plus. And the fact that I can use mine and my dads old lenses that are just sitting in the cabinet are also a big bonus.

I'm very much a noob when it comes to photograpy and right now the camera will take better pictures than I can. Until now I've basicly been a point and shoot photographer. I don't think I took the KX-7 out of auto picture mode more than once or twice and never really messed with the settings on the K1000.

Hopefuly with time and now that I'm not worried about the cost of film I will be able to take better pictures. I doubt I'll ever get to pro quality but would be happy with better than snapshots.
05-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kdf9511 Quote
A long time ago in a galaxy not so far away
Welcome to the forum, that phrase is kinda familiar, albeit with a slight tweak.