Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
G'day from Adelaide Australia

Hi all,

I have been a Pentax user since I was 10 years old when my Dad gave me a Pentax K1000 for Christmas. So I have been a dyed in the wool Pentax user for 46 years. Over that time I have had a Pentax Super Program, a *istDS and most recently a K3. I have a flock of Pentax lenses and one Tamron (a 500mm mirror telephoto)

I have been a "voice in the wilderness" for Pentax over that whole time. Now that we have the internet I discovered that there is a whole website dedicated to nuts like me and I can stop trying to spruik Pentax and maybe post some pictures.

I like to take landscapes mainly but I enjoy any kind of challenge in photography. Once on Facebook they had this challenge where they would announce a theme and you had to take a picture on that theme and post it the same day. It was hard work but fun.

I am not a purist in the sense that I only use images straight from the camera. In my opinion a camera is a tool for people who are crappy artists to still contribute beautiful images. So I have Photoshop Elements and recently updated to 12 for my new camera. I usually have a "picture in my mind" when I snap the shutter and I try to get the image to match what I imagined.

One thing I love about photography is that flow state you get into when you have your camera on a tripod out in the bush and you get so consumed that time just flies by. In some sense the creation of the photo is just as important as the image itself.

I used to shoot 4X5 film and the format forced me to slow down and relax. I think that has helped me to be economical with my shots (it used to be $5 a shot so that was a real discipline ) Even though digital cameras are free once you buy the camera and the lenses and the cards and the tripod and the... well you get the point. I don't like to go snap-snap-snap and hope for something good at the end of the day.

Well, perhaps I will go out this weekend and take some pictures and post them on here.

Cheers,
JackFromAdelaide

05-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Good day mate and welcome to the forum
05-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by JackFromAdelaide Quote
I have a flock of Pentax lenses
Welcome to the forum, that's a new collective noun for lenses I've not heard before.
05-06-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. There are quite a few of us Aussies here and many great people from all over the world.

05-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's this about Adelaide being the wilderness? The home of Coopers is civilisation. K3 is a good box to put on the lenses. I share you careful with pushing the button approach - when I was young I found it a struggle to pay for Kodachrome 64.
05-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

G'day Mate welcome on board and glad you found us.
05-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, JackFromAdelaide ... hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
05-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome from another Adelaidean. There are several of us who are pretty active here. Look up jackassp, Digitalis, southlander, bossa for starters. The "South Aussie Pentaxians" group here has nearly 50 members.

05-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome - here are some pictures

Hi all,

I posted four pictures I took up at Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens a weekend ago. I resized them to 1000 pixels and 72 pixels per inch. The pictures seem to lack punch compared to the originals on my computer. Is there a trick to posting them?

I don't know how to get the other photos in here there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to get them into a post.

Cheers,
JackFromAdelaide
05-08-2014, 01:43 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JackFromAdelaide Quote
Hi all,

I posted four pictures I took up at Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens a weekend ago. I resized them to 1000 pixels and 72 pixels per inch. The pictures seem to lack punch compared to the originals on my computer. Is there a trick to posting them?

I don't know how to get the other photos in here there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to get them into a post.

Cheers,
JackFromAdelaide
You can attach up to 10 photos directly to each post. Here's how (and more info on linking to external posts too):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-b...tart-here.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I have found that sizing photos to 1024 on the long side gives best results when uploading here. Or host them somewhere else (I use flickr at 2048 on the long side) and post them here as a clickable link.
05-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
Figured out how to post pictures

Thanks Sandy. I resized them all to 1000 pixels on the longest edge. The images look kind of desaturated on the website. The full sized pictures knock your eyes out. I figured out what to do with those links. There are two links at the bottom of the page. The first just sticks the image into the post. The second link takes you to a filmstrip so you can scroll through them:

Mount Lofty Lily Pond - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Hey do the Adelaide Pentaxians ever do a meet up or shoot-a-thon or anything like that? I guess it would be like herding cats...
05-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hi and welcome from another almost Adelaidian......
05-08-2014, 05:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!
05-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard!
Hi Terry and Noel,

Thanks for the greetings. Terry where did you get that Cool banner at the bottom of post? I want one that says K3