Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

New. Hello all

Hi all. Was recommended by reddit. Hoping to get my first camera a K-5. Need a new hobby. Life is pretty hard sometimes.

05-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome to PF!

I have a K-5 and its a great camera. I have found this site outstanding. You will find lots of photographic articles here, reviews of gear you may be interested (lenses come to mind!) and of course can ask for help.

Be aware once you have used your camera for a while you will crave lenses but the great things about Pentax is that all the old lenses still work on the latest DSLRs so you don't have to buy new.

Jonathan
05-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
I am so clueless when it comes to lenses. I just want to get my hands on a k-5, and a basic lens or two so i can start. Ebay kinda ripped me off earlier. only bidder for days on this camera. Last second someone ups my bet. Was really saddened. Had everything I wanted: K5, a bag, and 2 lenses. Ah well. 'tis life of ebay, right?

By the point I crave lenses, I should be able to buy them!
05-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can even start with an older camera body if you like. Since you're approaching this as a hobby, much of the fun and interest will come as you find and try older (often inexpensive) lenses.

Overall, Pentax is probably the best brand to do this, since they (and others) have been making K-mount lenses for nearly 40 years, and they go right on your camera and work. Other brands can use older lenses too, but you often get loss of functionality and other exceptions.

05-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Grenadingbadger - hello. My K-5 is so awesome. I have a nice collection of new (and costly) lenses, but honestly, find some old school M series and A series primes in great condition for a fraction of the cost and you will be astounded. Everyone needs a fast 50. Find an M or A F1.7 or F1.4 (no more than $50 - $100) and you will get WAY more quality then what you could buy new for a lot more. For a longer reach, I found a pristine A 135mm F2.8 at a local shop, at the far end of the display case, with the junk, past the Canikons, for $75.00, and I have taken some of my best shots ever with it. Have fun, and happy hunting!
05-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
What would you all say is a good price to be able to buy a k-5 for is? I see them regularly get past 400 on ebay.
05-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you get that silver one you put the PM in for you got a good deal.

Otherwise just keep shopping around, and you'll figure out what a good price is. Keep in mind the K-5 II and IIs are a little better (notably in AF performance, which helps me since I shoot action), and still available new, so figure out how much you need to save compared to them to make it worth it.

But you could also start with a much cheaper K200D (I still have mine) or K10D and start buying some lenses. They still take excellent photos with good lenses.

05-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember to check out the Marketplace here on the forum. You'll quickly get a good idea of the acceptable prices for K5 bodies or bundles.

Don't overlook used equipment, particularly buying here on the Marketplace. A K5 with 18-135 pairing is a good place to start - it's rugged and very responsive.
05-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

Hello Lads!

From recent cases of photography has become my hobby again after many years, since I became a twist of fate to have her Pentax K-5 + a few lenses (including 2 manuals m42). I hope that no one is bored with his photographs and expression.
05-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll try and see if I can find this one for 400 or so. Seems affordable*. A bit more than I want to pay, but from the pictures I've seen taken with this camera with a decent lens, will be worth it.
05-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grenadingbadger Quote
Life is pretty hard sometimes
Welcome aboard, it certainly is your right and by joining up with us lot, it can become very expensive too.