Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #1

New to SLR and photography

Hi everyone, I'm new here and as you will find out most definitely newbish when it comes to anything photography...

I've always liked doing photography especially of wildlife and flora, but for a very long time I could only afford mediocre cameras (cheap digital camera and an old defective Minolta...) and had to deal with very limited capabilities. I had to do the best I could with what I had at the time, but I think I've managed to make a few decent shots throughout the years. But anyway, because I've never owned a decent camera I've never fully invested myself into really learning photography, but everything changed recently when I aquired a Pentax DSLR K100d Super and a 70-300mm lense.

It's really a dream come true for me... It's so great. I'm really happy with it and the shots I take with it give good results (better than anything I could've done with my older cameras anyway...), though admittedly I just leave everything to automatic and cross my finger for the pictures to come out right. This is where I'm hoping you guys can give me a hand. I mainly do bird photography, I've noticed that some shots will come out very sharp, clean and look awesome when zooming in, but another great number of them are a tad fuzzy and undefined. I don't know why that is. I use centered focusing so the focus is only on the bird and also have anti-shaking on. No, I don't have a tripod, it's the next thing to get on my list. :P I find tripods a bit cumbersome though, I don't like being stationnary too much. Anyway, I'm sure their are things I should adjust manually to get better results but I don't even know where to begin with that... Like, what should I do when taking a shot of a black bird against a blue/white-ish sky. The black always comes out too opaque and too contrasty.

Also, I'm thinking getting another lense because my 70-300mm is great for birds and animals that aren't too shy and skittish but anything seen from pretty far doesn't give much of a zoom. The thing I'm wondering is whether I should invest on a new lense or an observation scope with a camera adapter. I don't know if one or the other gives better results or if it's cheaper.

Oh and lastly, I use rechargable batteries but I seem to have a problem and I don't know if it's with the camera, the charger or the batteries themself. When I charge the batteries and then check if they are full with a little charge meter gadget it shows as full. When I put them in the camera it shows the batteries as empty... Most of my rechargable batteries do that, but when I use normal batteries everything is fine. What gives? Is there a brand that works better?

Anyway, any help or advices appreciated. And if anyone knows websites for serious beginners on bird photography, I'd gladly have a look. Thanks!

Sharp and clean ->
Fuzziness abounds! ->

04-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum

Just joined the DSLR crowd myself. Great photos BTW.

Just ordered the remote for my camera, I am thinking it may be useful for wildlife photography. I am planning to setup the camera with a 200mm pointed at one of my bird feeders.

As far as batteries, I use batteries from this company in my K110D. They seem to work well.

AA rechargeable battery,Ni-Mh AA rechargeable battery,Ni-Cd AA rechargeable battery, aa battery charger,