Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Greetings from England!

Hello there!

I'm new here, you know. This would be my official hello!

In terms of my photography, I'm at a place where I'm starting to find my feet and develop my own style, having had a few years where I haven't shot quite so much. I love all sorts of photography, not really favouring one discipline over another, and I am a huge believer in 'getting it right in camera' and doing as little to the shot in post-production as possible. For me, photography is about creative expression, capturing a moment or scene, or causing the viewer to question what they're seeing and what it means.
Honestly, I feel like I've got an awful lot to learn! But, it's an exciting process that I can't wait to grow into.

Why am I here? Well, in truth, I shoot Canon. I bought my first DSLR years ago - a Canon 30D - and I still have it, the kit lens it came with and one other lens (a Sigma telephoto) - being an impoverished student, I never bought more into the system. Recently, I got hold of a Pentax K1000 and fell in love. Since then, I've been itching to upgrade to something a little more modern and the K3 has caught my eye...I'm sorely tempted and mostly convinced to pack it in with Canon and go fully Pentax.
Which explains the other reason I'm here...the Pentax K3 contest that's running at the moment!

Anyway, I hope to hang around and post a bit more other than just enter the contest, so you might see me around.

Thanks for being so welcoming!

*wave*

Mark / Frogonastring

05-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mark, and welcome to Pentax Forums. We have quite a number of people here who shoot with multiple systems, so don't feel as if you're intruding, by any means. The K-3 is a great camera, and worthy of your ambition to win one. Nonetheless, the image is what ultimately brings us here, so look, learn and develop your skills, along with the rest of us. Enjoy your time here.
Rob
05-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Mark and welcome to the Forums
05-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! Much appreciated.

05-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogonastring Quote
Which explains the other reason I'm here...the Pentax K3 contest
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the contest.
05-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Mark ... Enjoy & hope to see some Pentax images soon ... Salut, J

PS - I started with a K1000 and have two at the moment ... need to get one out
05-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Kerrowdown, Jean! Much appreciated.

Jean, you should definitely get your K1000 out - there's something really wonderful in the simplicity. It's a gorgeous camera.

Here's a shameless plug: I've entered the competition with a shot titled "Streets of London" - check it out, here! Please! Streets of London - Frogonastring
I've had lots of views but no recommendations yet - in all honesty, I'd love some feedback on the image, if you wouldn't mind!
05-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogonastring Quote
I'd love some feedback on the image
Well you did ask... for me the chaps a wee bit central in the frame. Crop a bit behind him putting him on a third and leaving him space on the right to walk into, this would in IMHO improve the composition.

05-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Yes, agree.

On the other hand, a grey-haired chap mid way in the frame suggests a message.
05-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
Yes, agree.

On the other hand, a grey-haired chap mid way in the frame suggests a message.
Yes, that was my thought, particularly as there is a great deal of space above the figure, suggesting aloneness, if not isolation.
05-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter

He's perhaps mid way through life and heading for the last part. Though the sunlight is coming from the wrong direction.
05-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
He's perhaps mid way through life and heading for the last part. Though the sunlight is coming from the wrong direction.
Not if you believe that he's heading into the White Light...
05-21-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well you did ask... for me the chaps a wee bit central in the frame. Crop a bit behind him putting him on a third and leaving him space on the right to walk into, this would in IMHO improve the composition.
Haha, I did indeed ask! My question was on the level - I'm very aware that there's a lot of very talented photographers here, and I personally feel that being teachable and open to criticism is an important part of creative development. Feedback is definitely something I'm after - good or bad.

I know what you mean about the framing - I did toy with cropping a bit more. At the time of shooting, I considered going for thirds, but it felt 'right' to centralise him. And indeed, having just had a play again just now with some cropping, I can't get it to feel 'right' with him off on one of the third lines. I can't describe why exactly, but I don't feel the image works as well...I wonder if it's one of those times where the rule of thirds is more of a guideline... ;-)

Also, as Sigmund and RobA_Oz said below, it feels like there's an imagery significance to him being in the centre. One of the things I love about this image is the sense of atmosphere and character that you get from the gentleman. I also echo your thoughts about the empty space and isolation - I did want to capture that he was alone, with the setting sun on his face. There is a sense of transition there, life seasons and so on. It's interesting you picked up on that as well!

Guys, thank you so much for the feedback - it's really interesting and helpful to hear your thoughts. It was a good challenge to go back and have a play with cropping it to see how it looked - like I said, I want to be teachable and open to this stuff, so I do really appreciate your efforts replying to this. Thanks!