Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 04:33 AM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by got2bNC Quote
The 80-200 has quick autofocus, it's super light and compact, and I love that it zooms internally. It's sharpness is just average, but it will do for now. The 50 f/2, however, is fantastic! Sharp, great colors and fun to use.
I take back the suggestion about using the 80-200 for macro , although the M50 would work well.

As you say the 16-45 should be sufficient for close-ups for the time being.

The 70 would be plenty sharp enough and a handy length for macro but the minimum focusing distance of 70cm would be a limitation. Some people swear by the better diopters and close focus filters as a cheap way to use a good sharp lens like the 70 for macros without having to buy a dedicated lens. Another option to bear in mind.

05-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Original Poster
16-45 and 70 2.4 are here with photos!

I bought both lenses used off Adorama and they are excellent shape overall. The hood on the 16-45 is cracked but the lens is otherwise as-new. The 70 has slight use marks and no hood. The main thing is that the glass is perfect and they work great!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
16-45 and 70 2.4 are here with photos!

I bought both lenses used off Adorama and they are excellent shape overall. The hood on the 16-45 is cracked but the lens is otherwise as-new. The 70 has slight use marks and no hood. The main thing is that the glass is perfect and they work great!
I'm glad you got them. I think you'll enjoy having them.

The hood is usually a good thing to have, so you might want to look into that for the DA70. One of the reasons I like having them on is to protect the front of the lens from bumps when I walk around between shots. But it should take good photos without one too, and it's a nice lens.
05-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'm glad you got them. I think you'll enjoy having them.

The hood is usually a good thing to have, so you might want to look into that for the DA70. One of the reasons I like having them on is to protect the front of the lens from bumps when I walk around between shots. But it should take good photos without one too, and it's a nice lens.
Might have to hold off on the hood for the 70. At $49, it's a bit pricey. Plus the lens cap isn't original either. (Guess I found out why it was priced so low...)

Right now I have mixed feelings on the 70. It seems to be great optically, but for a portrait lens, it has loud AF. I guess I expected better from the Limited line and premium price. I see myself using this lens at weddings where a loud AF motor could be disrupting.

05-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right now I have mixed feelings on the 70. It seems to be great optically, but for a portrait lens, it has loud AF. I guess I expected better from the Limited line and premium price. I see myself using this lens at weddings where a loud AF motor could be disrupting.
It doesn't have a lens motor, which is part of the reason it's so small. But your camera's motor is fast as well as noisy, so swings and roundabouts ... enjoy the IQ!
05-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might have to hold off on the hood for the 70. At $49, it's a bit pricey. Plus the lens cap isn't original either. (Guess I found out why it was priced so low...)

The DA70 takes nice portraits. But so does the DA*50-135 I recommended. It has very quiet AF. Its used prices are still around what I paid used a few years ago. It's rare in that the IQ is nearly as good as primes like the DA70. You won't notice any inferiority unless you consciously try - and even then it's rather hard to tell. It should be better for weddings.

Consider sending the DA70 back if it's what you really need instead. You need to go to the FA77 or FA*85 to get real optical advantages over the DA*50-135, and even there it's not so much a matter of being better, but rather just different (due to the wider aperture).
05-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The DA70 takes nice portraits. But so does the DA*50-135 I recommended. It has very quiet AF. Its used prices are still around what I paid used a few years ago. It's rare in that the IQ is nearly as good as primes like the DA70. You won't notice any inferiority unless you consciously try - and even then it's rather hard to tell. It should be better for weddings.

Consider sending the DA70 back if it's what you really need instead. You need to go to the FA77 or FA*85 to get real optical advantages over the DA*50-135, and even there it's not so much a matter of being better, but rather just different (due to the wider aperture).
I'm sure I'll warm up to the 70 after I get some time to use it this weekend. If not, I'll send it back and figure out an alternative.