Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #1

Greetings (with a brand new K-3 Problem)

Hello, friends:

Today was my first date with a Pentax ever in 47 years as a pro photographer, and I have a problem. I bought a new K-3 with the 31/1.8 Ltd lens. After owning numerous Canons, Leicas and Fuji's (some of which I still use), I "discovered" Pentax, and except for the issue outlined below, I'm extremely pleased with initial results.

I programmed the "Raw/FX" button for auto bracketing, and it's stuck in that mode. I tried accessing through the program menu entry, also through the 4-way controller, but all I can accomplish is changing the number of shutter actuations and their EV range, so that part of the gizmo works fine. But the camera still always operates in some auto-bracketing mode.

I tried the following, with no effect on escaping bracketing mode:

Pressed the Green button while pressing (or not) various other buttons.
Programmed the "Raw/FX" button to other uses.
Changed from User Mode to all others.
Removed and replaced the battery.
Removed and replaced the cards.

Being new to Pentax, I would not be surprised if I overlooked something. If not, perhaps the problem is firmware? The body has 1.0 firmware.

I will appreciate any guidance.

BTW, this Forum and it's thorough, polite, well-organized information cemented my foray into Pentaxonomy.

05-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one issue we discovered in our in-depth review. The only way to get out is to go to the drive mode menu (via the up button on the 4-way pad when not in AF select mode) and select the desired drive mode there. As far as I know, there are no shortcuts, though this could easily be fixed through firmware.

Details here ("regrettably..."):
Pentax K-3 Review - User Interface - Pentax Camera Forums
05-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Success!

Thanks, Adam. That dance across the menu works. But what a nuisance. Couldn't firmware make the "Raw/FX" button capable of toggling OFF/ON any selected action?

The latest firmware has no effect on canceling auto-bracket.

Sheldan
05-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, it sure is a nuisance. I hope they fix it but you never know.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Too late to help and also I know nothing about K3's, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
05-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Convert ... Enjoy & hope to see some K-3 images soon ... Salut, J