Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

New K3 arriving on Monday!

Just thought that I'd take a moment to say hello! Glad that I found the group here! My excited happiness that my new K3, will be arriving on Monday!

I am very new to, DSLR type cameras. I used to love having a Film driven 35mm camera in my hands at all times, years ago, and miss the feeling of a 'real' camera in my hands. And now, because Lupus has caused some problems with my hands, I've been using Super Zoom Bridge cameras. I currently own Panasonic FZ100 & an FZ70. But, I never really got over the want for a decent 'REAL' camera, that gives you a choice on lenses and such! No super zoom system can replace that feeling or image capability to be honest. And so, I'm looking forward to the possibilities of the Pentax for sure. I recently had to send back a brand new Sony A77 for an issue that would not focus properly no matter which lens was used, so, my hopes are really penned on the Pentax for sure - after the stellar reviews - the excitement is certainly there!

I ordered it from Adorama, with the prices being pretty standard across the board, for all of the online retailers, finding a great deal was not an issue, but thankfully, Adorama was adding in a 16gb FLU card! That definitely sealed the deal for me! For the same price of the body only ~ B&H was giving a 32gb class 10 -standard SD card, and a small bag I believe,,,,I figured the FLU card would be much more worthy and useful for this system especially. I ordered one lens to start with - a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS. I like to do a lot of bird photos, and this lens seemed like it would be a great all around lens to get me started out at the back yard feeders and getting some good images - I like that I won't have to do a lot of lens changes for now, until I get used to the workings of the camera system as a whole. And, as I save my pennies up here and there, I can invest in more lenses as time allows.

If there is ANY advice that you'd like to give me, please by all means, I'd love to hear it!

I also ordered the e-book on a more indepth look at using the K3 - there didn't seem to be many book options, for this brand of camera especially.

Thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to being a part of the group!

GAjeepGirl

05-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GAjeeperGirl Quote
Just thought that I'd take a moment to say hello! Glad that I found the group here! My excited happiness that my new K3, will be arriving on Monday!

I am very new to, DSLR type cameras. I used to love having a Film driven 35mm camera in my hands at all times, years ago, and miss the feeling of a 'real' camera in my hands. And now, because Lupus has caused some problems with my hands, I've been using Super Zoom Bridge cameras. I currently own Panasonic FZ100 & an FZ70. But, I never really got over the want for a decent 'REAL' camera, that gives you a choice on lenses and such! No super zoom system can replace that feeling or image capability to be honest. And so, I'm looking forward to the possibilities of the Pentax for sure. I recently had to send back a brand new Sony A77 for an issue that would not focus properly no matter which lens was used, so, my hopes are really penned on the Pentax for sure - after the stellar reviews - the excitement is certainly there!

I ordered it from Adorama, with the prices being pretty standard across the board, for all of the online retailers, finding a great deal was not an issue, but thankfully, Adorama was adding in a 16gb FLU card! That definitely sealed the deal for me! For the same price of the body only ~ B&H was giving a 32gb class 10 -standard SD card, and a small bag I believe,,,,I figured the FLU card would be much more worthy and useful for this system especially. I ordered one lens to start with - a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS. I like to do a lot of bird photos, and this lens seemed like it would be a great all around lens to get me started out at the back yard feeders and getting some good images - I like that I won't have to do a lot of lens changes for now, until I get used to the workings of the camera system as a whole. And, as I save my pennies up here and there, I can invest in more lenses as time allows.

If there is ANY advice that you'd like to give me, please by all means, I'd love to hear it!

I also ordered the e-book on a more indepth look at using the K3 - there didn't seem to be many book options, for this brand of camera especially.

Thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to being a part of the group!

GAjeepGirl
Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase! The free wireless tethering card is definitely a nice bonus- once you get it, you might want to check out our set-up guide and review here:
Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Set-Up Guide - Pentax Camera Forums

The 18-250mm will be a great lens to get you started, but later down the road I'd recommend getting a higher-quality zoom, or a prime lens, which would allow you to get more artistic with photos and, more importantly, get the most out of the K-3's high-resolution filterless sensor The Pentax 35mm F2.4 and 50mm F1.8 lenses are both great starter primes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GAjeeperGirl Quote
f there is ANY advice that you'd like to give me
Welcome here, just enjoy her (K3) once you get her and get out there shooting.
05-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase! The free wireless tethering card is definitely a nice bonus- once you get it, you might want to check out our set-up guide and review here:
Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Set-Up Guide - Pentax Camera Forums

The 18-250mm will be a great lens to get you started, but later down the road I'd recommend getting a higher-quality zoom, or a prime lens, which would allow you to get more artistic with photos and, more importantly, get the most out of the K-3's high-resolution filterless sensor The Pentax 35mm F2.4 and 50mm F1.8 lenses are both great starter primes.
Thanks for the reply Adam - I already have that page bookmarked for the set up! YOu all have done a seemingly STELLAR job in posting some very important info on getting things running right! For that I'm grateful to no end!

It won't be here until later in the day tomorrow - we are usually the last stop on our UPS route. :-(

05-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, GAjeeperGirl ... Enjoy & hope to see some K-3 images soon ... Salut, J