Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I read the review of the 18-135 at Photozone and thought, "I'll never buy one of those". But after reading lots of recommendations of it from well-informed and experienced users, and seeing many great photos, I certainly would buy one. (Photozone clearly got a bad copy.)

I suggest you read the PF staff in-depth reviews of the 18-55 WR and the 18-135 WR:
Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums
Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Overview - Pentax Camera Forums
The 18-135 comes out way ahead. In fact it seems at least competitive with most of the 17-xx or 18-xx lenses in image qualtiy (even if it is a bit slower than some of them) and has two big advantages: WR and extra reach. And it is compact and light weight.

Personally I would spend $300 on a used 18-135 rather that $100 on a used 18-55 (especially when you already have a non-WR 18-55), even if you need to sell your 50-200, 18-80 and 80-200 to fund it. Better to have one good lens that really meets your needs and that you use a lot than several so-so ones that don't. Likely to hold its value better too.
Good points and thankyou for the links on the reviews. . The more I look at the 18-135, the more impressed I am. Now, if I can only get past the price. I'm getting in trouble with my significant other on the money I have been spending lately. Thank you all for your advice. This is a great forum. I'm glad I am a Pentax owner.

05-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #17
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now go check this out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...at-can-do.html
05-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #18

Original Poster
I read the review of the 18-135 at Photozone and thought, "I'll never buy one of those". But after reading lots of recommendations of it from well-informed and experienced users, and seeing many great photos, I certainly would buy one. (Photozone clearly got a bad copy.)

I suggest you read the PF staff in-depth reviews of the 18-55 WR and the 18-135 WR:
Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums
Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Overview - Pentax Camera Forums
The 18-135 comes out way ahead. In fact it seems at least competitive with most of the 17-xx or 18-xx lenses in image qualtiy (even if it is a bit slower than some of them) and has two big advantages: WR and extra reach. And it is compact and light weight.

Personally I would spend $300 on a used 18-135 rather that $100 on a used 18-55 (especially when you already have a non-WR 18-55), even if you need to sell your 50-200, 18-80 and 80-200 to fund it. Better to have one good lens that really meets your needs and that you use a lot than several so-so ones that don't. Likely to hold its value better too.
I got approval from the "boss" to purchase the 18-135 WR. I may sell my Tamron 18-200 since I already have a Pentax DA 50-200.
Now, I need to decide if I should buy it used without a warranty or just purchase it new and have some piece of mind.
There is a used one available for about $360, never used. It's tempting as I have 30 days to check it out to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
05-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digitaleagle12 Quote
I got approval from the "boss" to purchase the 18-135 WR. I may sell my Tamron 18-200 since I already have a Pentax DA 50-200.
Now, I need to decide if I should buy it used without a warranty or just purchase it new and have some piece of mind.
There is a used one available for about $360, never used. It's tempting as I have 30 days to check it out to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
Just pulled the plug on the 18-135. Got a pretty decent price new from Amazon. Now I have to decide if it is worth selling my Tamron 18-200 or if I should just keep it for my K100D body. I'm sure it won't go for much used. I'm all tapped out now after buying the K5 II, DA 35 2.4 and DA 50mm 1.9 primes and now the DA 19-135mm. I'm going to stop spending money for a while and go take pictures!!!

05-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm getting in trouble with my significant other on the money I have been spending lately.
Most of us have been there! Might be worth encouraging your SO to use the new camera/lens as much as possible!

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 08:42 AM ----------

Just pulled the plug on the 18-135. Got a pretty decent price new from Amazon. Now I have to decide if it is worth selling my Tamron 18-200 or if I should just keep it for my K100D body. I'm sure it won't go for much used. I'm all tapped out now after buying the K5 II, DA 35 2.4 and DA 50mm 1.9 primes and now the DA 19-135mm. I'm going to stop spending money for a while and go take pictures!!!
If it's a good copy, you won't regret it. If it's not good, you can send it back under warranty. A safe choice.

As my grandmother used to say, the thing is remembered long after the price is forgotten. You now have an excellent kit.

I also have the "plastic fantastic" primes (DA 35 and 50) and they both produce amazing pictures.

Enjoy!
05-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, digitaleagle12 ... Enjoy & hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
05-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #22

Original Poster
Most of us have been there! Might be worth encouraging your SO to use the new camera/lens as much as possible!

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 08:42 AM ----------

If it's a good copy, you won't regret it. If it's not good, you can send it back under warranty. A safe choice.

As my grandmother used to say, the thing is remembered long after the price is forgotten. You now have an excellent kit.

I also have the "plastic fantastic" primes (DA 35 and 50) and they both produce amazing pictures.

Enjoy!
I bought the lens from an Amazon vendor. After I purchased it I saw reviews saying the vendor sells Grey market lenses. If I get it and it is Grey Market, it is going back. I will purchase from a reputable vendor. I'm most concerned about the warranty. I looked at the pictures posted on the lens thread and was "blown away" at what I saw. I know these are the "best" photos and most are PP, but they were quite impressive. I hope I can take pictures anywhere near as good as those.

05-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the lens from an Amazon vendor. After I purchased it I saw reviews saying the vendor sells Grey market lenses. If I get it and it is Grey Market, it is going back. I will purchase from a reputable vendor. I'm most concerned about the warranty. I looked at the pictures posted on the lens thread and was "blown away" at what I saw. I know these are the "best" photos and most are PP, but they were quite impressive. I hope I can take pictures anywhere near as good as those.
You would still get the one year world wide warranty, which is exactly the same as the US warranty.
05-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
You would still get the one year world wide warranty, which is exactly the same as the US warranty.
Even if I don't get a warranty card or serial number? Or is the serial number on the lens itself? Thanks for the info. Supposedly, I'm not going to get the hood either, which I would like. We will see I guess.
05-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #25
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if I don't get a warranty card or serial number? Or is the serial number on the lens itself? Thanks for the info. Supposedly, I'm not going to get the hood either, which I would like. We will see I guess.
They are supposed to come with the hood. I would write them back and say you expect the hood because that is how they come packaged, and you expect to see the warranty card or you will contact Amazon and your card company if both are not included.
05-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Your camera, equipped with WR lenses, will survive rain without problems.
Totally agree, and wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself!

DA 40 Ltd is a great partner for the K5 and makes for a very compact set up...
05-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #27

Original Poster
OK - so I did a little research on the purchase of the 18-135mm WR lens through Amazon. I first ordered from Web Offers at a price of $406. Later that weekend I saw that Sunset electronics was offering the same lens, with some accessories for $369. I received the lens from Web Offer and the lens came in a white box with no warranty card. The lens appears to be fine. I decided I would send the lens back from Web Offers and keep the lower priced one from Sunset Electronics when it arrives.

Because of the confusion on the warranty, Amazon agreed to send back the original lens at no charge to me. I then called Sunset Electronics to ask them about the warranty. They told me the lens would be covered by Pentax for a year, but I could also send it to them and they would send it to Pentax. I'm not sure why I would do this vs. just sending it back to Pentax myself. There was no way to contact Web Offers. At least Sunset Electronics has a telephone number and you can talk to someone.

I then did a chat with Ricoh support. I've attacned the transcipt to this post. If you read the post, it's like Ricoh really doesn't seem confident in their answers regarding what gets a warranty and what doesn't. I took away from the conversation that if you buy it from Amazon, regardless of the seller and if you have an Amazon invoice, you are covered. I think this is consistent with what others have said on previous threads.

It also sounds like Ricoh may be changing, or trying to make their policies on warranty coverage more clear in the future.

At least they have set a precedent with me on this lens.