Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

New Pentax upgrader!

Hello: I just joined the forum and recently upgraded from a Pentax K100D to a K 5 II. I couldn't resist the price and even though I longed for the K3, I decided the K5 II would be a giant upgrade for me. I was reallly debating between the II and the IIS but decided the II would be a better fit for me after reading all the reviews. After just receiving the camera, I certainly can't complain about the image qualiity of the K5 II so far with the few shots I have been able to take.

The only problem I now have is I am going to go broke buying new lenses! I just bought a DA 35 2.4 and DA 50 1.8 prime. I wanted to start adding some better glass to my collection and would really like to get a fisheye zoom eventually.

I currently have the standard 18-50 and 55-200 (generation 1) and a Tamron 18-200 (for versatility) along with some older lenses I bought with my old Ricoh 35mm. One that's most interesting is an old Ricoh 50mm 2.0 that was the kit lens to my old Ricoh XR-2S 35mm. I also have a Metz AF1 50 Flash unit.

I'm thinking about getting a WR lens in the future for the occasion that I might run into bad weather while shooting, but the thought of bringing my new K5 into the elements just doesn't seem right to me. (I know many of you do of course and havn't had issues)

I hope to continue to get a lot of good information from this forum.

Let me know your thoughts.

Happy shooting.

05-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
Your K-5 enjoys working in bad weather and will keep up with you if you don't mind the weather yourself.
A WR lens will be needed if you want to do that commando, otherwise a plastic bag on your existing lenses will give some protection.
As for lenses, there are lots of nice ones to spend your money on.
If you don't mind used, there are a lot of good bargains in the marketplace here, and you can always sell ones you don't enjoy for not much of a loss vs buying new.
05-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and if you need any assistance with your LBA, we're the guys to help.
05-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If it were me, I'd sell the Tamron 18-200 and get the DA18-135. Less range, but the WR is a great benefit. I had mine out in a tropical storm, got soaked for 4 days, never had a problem. Wash it off in the sink and everything. Really, the WR is amazing.

My other favorite lens is the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Very very sharp in the center, nice bright aperture. A fun lens!

05-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd second the 18-135. I'd also sell the 18-55 and 50-200 and get the 55-300 WR so you have some range in there.
05-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. I am actually quite fond of the Tamron 18-200 and get very good pictures from it. I know the professional reviews on it have been so so but I really think its an underated lens and am sometimes surprised at how good the images are from it. I really like the zoom range and not having to change lenses. I know its a bit of a compromise lens, but I really like the versatility of it.

I might sell the original pentax 55-200 and put it towards a good WR lens. That's a very good thought. I still have the K100d which I will probably keep the 18-55 for. I thought about selling the camera but its really not worth much anymore and still takes excellent outdoor pictures. I'll probably just keep it as a second body.

I'm going to have to spread my purchases out - but its good to have a plan. That's very good feedback on the WR capability of the Pentax K 5.

I apprecaite all your welcomes on the forum.
05-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaleagle12 Quote
I'm thinking about getting a WR lens in the future for the occasion that I might run into bad weather while shooting, but the thought of bringing my new K5 into the elements just doesn't seem right to me. (I know many of you do of course and havn't had issues)
Your camera, equipped with WR lenses, will survive rain without problems.

Regarding lenses, start by figuring out what you want to photogrpah before going on a spending spree. MAcro, protraits, kids, sports, birds? Invest in lenses that will actually be useful.

Regarding the 18-200 vs 18-135, remember that with your K-5 II you can crop to get a comparable field of view than your 200mm with a K100D. The 18-200 serves you well and that's fine, but the 18-135 WR could replace your 18-55 and 50-200 and give you WR.

05-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, digitaleagle12 ... Enjoy & please post us some images soon ... Salut, J
05-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France, digitaleagle12 ... Enjoy & please post us some images soon ... Salut, J
Bounjour from France! Been there many times and loved it. I need to get back there to take some more pictures with my new K% II!

OK - so maybe you guys can help me make a decision here.

This is what I currently have:

Pentax K100D
Pentax K5 II

Lenses:
Original 18-55 DA Pentax - (currently planning on using it for all round lense on the K100D)
Original 50-200 DA Pentax
Tamron 18-200 K mount autofocus
Pentax 35mm prime 2.4
Pentax 50mm prime 1.8
Old manual Sigma 80-200mm
Old Tokina A series 18-80 (I think - it's in storage and can't remember the exact focal length) It does auto aperature but no auto focus.

I'd like to get a WR Pentax lense for the K5 but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm tempted to get the standard kit lens. DA 18-55mm WR for the times I get caught in bad weather and still want to shoot. The lens is affordable, (about 150 us) and gets good reviews for a kit lense. (As long as you aren't shooting with it wide open)

I thought about the 18-135, which would be ideal, but I don't want to spend $460 for it. The 55-300 WR is also attractive but is also on the expensive side. The downside to this is that it is a lot larger lense and wouldn't give me any wide angle versatility. I figure if I'm out in the rain, I'm better with the 18-55 to most shots.

I don't see myself being in bad weather all that much. But - it would be nice to have the option if it happened.

I also want to eventually get a fisheye 10-18 or 10-45 type lense but am not sure if they make those in a WR mount. Even if they don't I still want this lense as I think it would be very versatle for creative shooting.

What would you guys recommend?

Too many choices, not enough money!
05-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Bounjour from France! Been there many times and loved it. I need to get back there to take some more pictures with my new K% II!

OK - so maybe you guys can help me make a decision here.

This is what I currently have:

Pentax K100D
Pentax K5 II

Lenses:
Original 18-55 DA Pentax - (currently planning on using it for all round lense on the K100D)
Original 50-200 DA Pentax
Tamron 18-200 K mount autofocus
Pentax 35mm prime 2.4
Pentax 50mm prime 1.8
Old manual Sigma 80-200mm
Old Tokina A series 18-80 (I think - it's in storage and can't remember the exact focal length) It does auto aperature but no auto focus.

I'd like to get a WR Pentax lense for the K5 but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm tempted to get the standard kit lens. DA 18-55mm WR for the times I get caught in bad weather and still want to shoot. The lens is affordable, (about 150 us) and gets good reviews for a kit lense. (As long as you aren't shooting with it wide open)

I thought about the 18-135, which would be ideal, but I don't want to spend $460 for it. The 55-300 WR is also attractive but is also on the expensive side. The downside to this is that it is a lot larger lense and wouldn't give me any wide angle versatility. I figure if I'm out in the rain, I'm better with the 18-55 to most shots.

I don't see myself being in bad weather all that much. But - it would be nice to have the option if it happened.

I also want to eventually get a fisheye 10-18 or 10-45 type lense but am not sure if they make those in a WR mount. Even if they don't I still want this lense as I think it would be very versatle for creative shooting.

What would you guys recommend?

Too many choices, not enough money!
The 18-135 is worth the upgrade, and you can occasionally see them here for 300 or so on the Marketplace.
05-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The 18-55 can be had for about 100$, like new, on the marketplace.

If you DON'T plan on being in bad weather but would like a safety net, then get the WR kit and spend your money on better glass with different focal lengths. As much as the 8-145 is convenient, if you almost never need WR then it's overkill. You could spend the same amount of money on a better lens such as the Sigma 17-70, or the specialty lenses you mention.

However, remember that WR isn't just for rain. Dust, sand, snow are all potential hazards for your camera.

As for me, the Sigma 17-70 is my main lens, the 18-55 my safety net, I don't own the 18-135, and I have several other lenses for different situations.
05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been in the rain numerous times with my K5 and 18-135. Keep the seals clean and you'll have no problem.

I always recommend a sling-type strap, too, for security and comfort.
05-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The 18-55 can be had for about 100$, like new, on the marketplace.

If you DON'T plan on being in bad weather but would like a safety net, then get the WR kit and spend your money on better glass with different focal lengths. As much as the 8-145 is convenient, if you almost never need WR then it's overkill. You could spend the same amount of money on a better lens such as the Sigma 17-70, or the specialty lenses you mention.

However, remember that WR isn't just for rain. Dust, sand, snow are all potential hazards for your camera.

As for me, the Sigma 17-70 is my main lens, the 18-55 my safety net, I don't own the 18-135, and I have several other lenses for different situations.
Thanks for the info on the Sigma 17-70, I will have to check that one out. I think I am going to buy the Kit 18-55 WR for bad weather situations. As much as I would like the 18-135 WR, I just don't want to spend that much money right now and according to the reviews they are both somewhat of a compromise in image quality at various focal lengths. Decisions, Decisions.
05-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #14
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info on the Sigma 17-70, I will have to check that one out. I think I am going to buy the Kit 18-55 WR for bad weather situations. As much as I would like the 18-135 WR, I just don't want to spend that much money right now and according to the reviews they are both somewhat of a compromise in image quality at various focal lengths. Decisions, Decisions.
You may want to check out the thread with example pics before you write it off as a compromise.
05-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I would like the 18-135 WR, I just don't want to spend that much money right now and according to the reviews they are both somewhat of a compromise in image quality at various focal lengths.
I read the review of the 18-135 at Photozone and thought, "I'll never buy one of those". But after reading lots of recommendations of it from well-informed and experienced users, and seeing many great photos, I certainly would buy one. (Photozone clearly got a bad copy.)

I suggest you read the PF staff in-depth reviews of the 18-55 WR and the 18-135 WR:
Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums
Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Overview - Pentax Camera Forums
The 18-135 comes out way ahead. In fact it seems at least competitive with most of the 17-xx or 18-xx lenses in image qualtiy (even if it is a bit slower than some of them) and has two big advantages: WR and extra reach. And it is compact and light weight.

Personally I would spend $300 on a used 18-135 rather that $100 on a used 18-55 (especially when you already have a non-WR 18-55), even if you need to sell your 50-200, 18-80 and 80-200 to fund it. Better to have one good lens that really meets your needs and that you use a lot than several so-so ones that don't. Likely to hold its value better too.