Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

First Pentax DSLR

Hey all, Just wanted to introduce myself as a first time DSLR pentax interestee. More specifically the K-5/iis. Hope not making a mistake with the iis as its't for macro photography use and not sure how the moire affects the close ups of insects/plants and very fine detailed things.

05-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd advise the K-30 or K-50 instead. The same image sensor as the K-5, but it includes focus peaking. For Macro, I find focus peaking indispensable. I set the lens for the magnification I want, set the focus on manual focus, and move the camera back and forth until the focus peaking shows that my subject is in focus. The K-5, K-5II and K-5IIs do not have focus peaking.

The K-5ii has a better autofocus system for low-light, but about the same in good light. The K-5/ii/iis have a nice magnesium body, and a top LCD, and a bunch of other things that are nice. The focus peaking feature of the K-30/K-50 is probably more important to you than all the other things, though.
05-25-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I see your getting great advice already, enjoy your photography, macro or otherwise.
05-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ;2825349:
Hey all, Just wanted to introduce myself as a first time DSLR pentax interestee. More specifically the K-5/iis. Hope not making a mistake with the iis as its't for macro photography use and not sure how the moire affects the close ups of insects/plants and very fine detailed things.

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, KaosArt ... IMHO the "moire issue" is not that big of a deal at all (over blown) and it's the lens (dedicated marcos or tubed primes) that makes the macros and not the body ... hope to see some Pentax images soon ... Salut, J