Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Hello, new here just joined the forums

Hello! I am a long term Pentax owner since my first Pentax being a K1000 35mm bought used a long time ago. I have upgraded through 35mm to SLRD ans started with a istDS and now have 2 K30's and Kr and looking to upgrade to a k3. Courrently stuck in the outlands of New Mexico but do aa lot of wildlife and trade shows from here to the Pacific coast in Nor Cal & So Oregon. Found the forums while looking for information on the K3 . Not sure I want the batttery pac as it would be a bigger camera system and I have small hands and serious arthritus. Had a k7 with battery pack and hated it. Any comments?

05-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums.
05-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum. I have now a K-7, K-01 and K-3. I love the K-7 for my use but the K-3 is two steps above IMHO: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/263120-initial-review-comments-k-7-k-3-a.html.

I do not use the battery pack and I would not use it for my needs: I value a compact camera. But I understand that people shooting portrait and modelling love the battery pack: better handling in portrait shooting.
05-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the PF Donna, glad that you could join us.

05-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm the opposite to you as I have huge hands so for me battery pack/grip is essential for both holding and balance of my large heavy glass.

A long shot I know, but perhaps you might get to feel one in a shop, if such a thing exists any where near you, this may help with your decision.
05-25-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, DonnaMarie ... Enjoy & hope to see some images soon. I liked my K-7, but don't care for grips in general despite my largish hands; like my gear "compact" when possible ... Salut, J
05-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the input on the K-3. I am thinking of getting a couple of extra batteries to have with me all the time. We are out in the wild counrty a lot and same when on the coast. Will be elk hunting come Nov -Dec and plan on having the cammeras with me then, too. I don't think I really gave the K-7 a fair chance as I had been in a severe accident with a head injury and bought the K-7 at basicly the wrong time. But the battery pack was just way too big for me to handle. Problem here locally even with 500K people in Albuquerque, no one carries the more expensive Pentax cameras so that I could actually hold one. I can check, but it is really doubtful () The major camera store carries Nikon and look down their collective noses when I say or carry in a Pentax.... We ship most everytjing from B&H.

Thanks again for the input.

DonnaMarie