Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #1

Because Olympus Ditched DSLRs...

...I'm starting over with a K5iis as soon as I take a beating by selling some of my Zuiko optics. Wish me luck.

Actually I borrowed a friends E-M1 for a month and it's really really good. However, I've always maintained that mirrorless is a brilliant side kick to a DSLR system. I think I still want one of each (dual system) and I'm curious to try something different after being locked into Olympus for a decade. Truth be told, my budget is small by choice and the E-M1 is really expensive if I don't sell anything. I can sell a few pieces for the fabulously priced K5iis which will get me a better sensor than my E-3 by leaps and bounds. (The E-M1 really gave me a taste of better DR and high ISO).

The same things that attracted me to the Olympus E-1 in 2004 attract me to Pentax now--a smallish weather sealed body that sits in your hand very unlike a cement block. And an innovative company that is not dumbing down their compact DSLRs to push everyone into the full frame dominance mind set.

So howdy folks. I teach math. I like to makes things out of wood and wish I were a more motivated luthier. I love Jesus but distrust most Christians. I have a 2.5 year old boy and a girl on the way, and my wife is a foodie--so if I remain skinny into my later years that will be a miracle. I like to run when my friends make me and wish I lived closer to Zion, Yellowstone, Glacier, or one of our other epic parks so I could pack my camera around them more often. Someday.,,

Cheers, Seth

05-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the clan. Although I jumped straight from the K5 to the K3, I am sure you will greatly enjoy the K5iis.
05-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well congrats on finding your path - hope you find it as joyous as I have. I've had my k5iis for about 18 months and love it. It's been a trustworthy companion that I feel I know and understand. Your timing is good - pricing on the k5iis is very competitive right now. So good luck with your plans and hope they go smoothly and quickly. And welcome to Pentax Forums!
05-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Seth ... Enjoy & hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J

05-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The IIs is an amazing camera. Welcome.
05-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, your post made gave me a wry smile with some of your comments and observations, it's good to have you here.
05-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I just said to my partner "What a great intro"...concise and descriptive, though I did have to look up "luthier"...cool hobby!
Cheers
Dean
05-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good to have you on board.

05-25-2014, 04:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome... my purchase of a K-3 has done nothing to convince me I shouldn't have a K5 IIs as well. I like your choice.
05-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great intro. Welcome to PF.
05-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome.. Plenty of things to shoot in Maryland..lol Used to love my Oly digitals and glass but am much happier now with Pentax, a company that supports their dslr users. The K5 lls is one fine camera, you'll love the button set up much better than the E3 for one thing.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-25-2014 at 04:39 AM.
05-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #12

Original Poster
Wow, what fine lads and ladies you are on this forum! Thanks for the encouragement and hearty greeting.
05-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums!!!!

You also have a couple of additional options here.
You are able to convert the mount on the Zukos to a K mount using the Leitax.com mount kit. Its not really cheap, but for a couple of prized lenses it may work for you. Runs about $100 per lens for the parts and it is fully reversible. The lens would act as a fully manual lens. I have two Contax (Zeiss) and one Leica lens that have been converted using the Leitax lens mount (and they all turned out perfect).You also have the ability to replace the camera mount with an adaptive camera mount that supports K mount, Olympus, Contax and a Nikon F (I think). In its present form, you loose the weather sealing - but they are working on an updated design to maintain the sealing aspect. Also, depending on the lens vendor, you may not be able to achieve infinite focusing on one of the vendors (I forget which one). The lens would act as a fully manual lens.
05-25-2014, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Salut wallygoots,

There may also be the possible dreaded "Dremel" option ... I have never done it to an OM mount, but it's supposed to work according to a former PF member, Rio Rico. Besides, I have a OM-2 body for my OM lenses and too many another "Franken-lens" projects to attack/finish up ...

Just FYI, I have Dremeled the following:

Yashica 50mm f1.4 ML - "RioRico" modification to PK mount Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Carl Zeiss Jena - Prakticar 1.4/50 MC - Modified to PK fit Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database