Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
early LBA symptoms :))

Hi everyone, got my first DSLR k-5iis a couple of months ago and finally got here. Used Sony Nex for few years and was skeptical about DSLR in general - my interest in advanced photography didn't wake up. Earlier this year, suddenly swallowed tons of videos and theory and bought k-5iis.

At the beginning I was still cautious and skeptical that my interest will pass quickly and was spending money on lenses conservatively. I bought a pair of used Tamrons (17-50,70-200) and thought those will serve me for a long time. At this point, after a couple of vacations and several thousand shutter actuations, I already broke one Tamron (not my fault)))), selling the other, bought a 15 Limited, looking for 20-40 and 50-135. Tell me how to stop?))

05-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send me your checkbook and credit cards.

05-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, you sound like a model of restraint to me!
05-27-2014, 09:52 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, you don't stop. There is therapy, which does help but is not a cure.

05-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The 15 Lim can't be included in LBA discussions, because it's more than a lens, it's a lifestyle.

15 Limited is worth more than it costs (new). I wouldn't sell mine for the same as I paid for it. I would only accept double. Even then the money would just go to trying to buy it back.
05-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pukipuki Quote
early LBA symptoms
Welcome to the forum, I hate to be the one to tell you, that your most defiantly in the wrong place for a cure.

Only encouragement to further promote mistress LBA will come from around here.
05-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like you my friend, I thought I would just buy a 'nice camera' and maybe one or two lenses.

Read my sig line and weep, for there is no cure for LBA, only remission and relapse.

05-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
The 15 Lim can't be included in LBA discussions, because it's more than a lens, it's a lifestyle.
+1
The DA15mm ltd is a special lens.

In fact, Pentax has two outstanding series of amazing lenses: the DA Ltd series and the FA Ltd series.

I know that the DA* are good but the FA Ltds are amazing and the pancake DA Ltds are so cute!

LBA + LBA = LBA
05-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A DA15, DA20-40 (or similar), and DA*50-135 is pretty much what you need at this point, don't you think? If you sell your other Tamron you'd basically have no lenses, right? I mean, you do want to take photos with it!

A few additions somewhere down the road could make sense, but you'll know when you need them. Obvious areas are a 300mm lens, a macro (can go cheap here if you want), possibly a fisheye or UWA, and possibly a prime or two around f/2 or faster.

---------- Post added 05-28-14 at 01:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That's scary Jatrax! I've owned all those lenses (or in a couple of cases their FA equivalents).
05-28-2014, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Obvious areas are a 300mm lens .
Keep in mind a 300mm can be self funding.....took this photo today with my 300mm..... found the pot of gold...... so can afford more lenses now......

05-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're not helping the poor innocent OP! Now he'll be lusting after Pentax-F's. (Just kidding. Nice kit).

pukipuki,

Welcome to Pentax Forums and congratulations on your new K-5iis. Hope you get a chance to post some photos and participate in some discussions here.

- Craig
05-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wow...nice set !!!
05-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pukipuki Quote
Hi everyone, got my first DSLR k-5iis a couple of months ago and finally got here. Used Sony Nex for few years and was skeptical about DSLR in general - my interest in advanced photography didn't wake up. Earlier this year, suddenly swallowed tons of videos and theory and bought k-5iis.

At the beginning I was still cautious and skeptical that my interest will pass quickly and was spending money on lenses conservatively. I bought a pair of used Tamrons (17-50,70-200) and thought those will serve me for a long time. At this point, after a couple of vacations and several thousand shutter actuations, I already broke one Tamron (not my fault)))), selling the other, bought a 15 Limited, looking for 20-40 and 50-135. Tell me how to stop?))
Welcome to Pentax and the LBA club! I also started with a NEX (which I still use in some situations) and then acquired Pentax (K-3) last fall. I rationalize my lens purchases by saying that I'm "buying for two", because Mr frogoutofwater also has a Pentax (K-30). However, I rarely let him touch my lenses.
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought into Pentax specially to use outdoors and thinking I could get away with used, cheap glass. I did got a nice line up of manual and AF legacy glass but the lust for a wide angle prime (wider than the A24/2.8 prime I had) put me on a track where I ended up with the DA limited line up (all of them bought used here in the marketplace) and selling all my legacy lenses, replacing them with modern versions.
05-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I bought into Pentax specially to use outdoors and thinking I could get away with used, cheap glass. I did got a nice line up of manual and AF legacy glass
Funny how so many of us started with Pentax because of the incredibly cheap, quality manual primes, and then eventually moved up to modern lenses. Those manual primes are no longer so cheap either.....