Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

New K50 Costco kit

So I've avoided DSLR's for the past ten years because most of my shooting is on beaches or deserts and the sand eats up cameras. So I've lived with the limitations of ultrazooms (needed to frame wildlife at a distance), all of which end up chewed to bits by the sand within two years time but they were disposable so (shrug). I considered Nikon, Canon, and Sony DSLR's previously, but they weren't weather sealed (which should also keep out the sand). The 50-300mm zoom for the Pentax wasn't sealed, so I didn't consider the Pentax, since I need a zoom that's reasonable to carry in those environments.

The new WS zoom changes that of course. I looked at the K50 kit on Costco's site for some time, then watched as colors disappeared and decided I better buy before they were out. I did. They're now out. I barely got in under the wire!

So now I'm awaiting my new camera... and any suggestions for accessories I should buy for it, of course, other than the 50-300 zoom I mean .

06-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the PentaxForums! Suggestions on how to spend your money...hmmm...the accessory AA battery holder is a good one. Since you got the Costco kit you will also be needing the hoods for your new lenses. At least one rear lens cap would also be a good idea. The caps that come with do not easily stay on.

Steve
06-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You probably want to get a clear (includes UV or Skylight) filter to protect the front element. Better than having to clean the sand directly off the glass.

Of course you're getting the WR version of the DA55-300, right (I think you said WS)?
06-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I got the Costco kit last year. A quick peek at the website shows that they still have the same bundle -- with the non-L DA 50-200 WR, hood and all. You'll only need the hood for the 18-55.

06-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the PentaxForums! Suggestions on how to spend your money...hmmm...the accessory AA battery holder is a good one. Since you got the Costco kit you will also be needing the hoods for your new lenses. At least one rear lens cap would also be a good idea. The caps that come with do not easily stay on.

Steve
At least the WR 55-300 comes with the hood and a good rear cap, so that's a good start.
06-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with my K-30 and 18-135 in the sand and rain all the time. If there's a lot of sand on it, when I get home, I rinse it off under the sink (very very low pressure, the seals will not withstand direct pressure). I even take it out in the surf with me. As long as it doesn't actually go under the water, it's fine. Several of our forum members have put their cameras under water briefly, but I'm not that brave!

As far as accessories, a UV filter for the front is a good idea in windy, sandy areas. Replace it if it gets scratched. A CPL filter helps keep the blue sky blue and kills reflections off the water. I recommend one of the B+W multi-coated ones. If you need a wide(ish) lens better than the 18-55, I really like the 18-135 for general use. The 16-50 is a nicer lens, but much much more expensive. The DA20-40 Limited is nice, and WR, but really expensive for what it is. I'd get the 16-50 first.

Another fun part of Pentax is all the old manual focus lenses. I suggest getting a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 as a first foray into MF. It's a peach of a lens at a peach of a price. A great lens for when the light gets low (not WR, though!).
06-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
I got the Costco kit last year. A quick peek at the website shows that they still have the same bundle -- with the non-L DA 50-200 WR, hood and all. You'll only need the hood for the 18-55.
They picture the non-L version of the 50-200, but it is the L version that is delivered. At least that is how it was a few months ago when my friend bought the Costco bundle. It is a great deal. I gifted her the hoods and a couple of wide-flange rear caps.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-04-2014 at 07:54 PM.
06-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They picture the non-L version of the 50-200, but it is the L version that is delivered. My friend bought the Costco bundle a few months ago. It is a great deal. I gifted her the hoods and a couple of wide-flange rear caps.
Ricoh must've swapped their inventory, then. In my case they shipped the lens kit with the DAL18-55 plus the DA50-200 on a separate box. That long zoom is currently my only AF lens with a metal bayonet.
06-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Everyone else has said it all the good things, I'll just say welcome to the forum.
06-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome, guys! Yes, WR of course . So it appears that the short list is: battery holder, filters, maybe lens caps/covers depending on what actually comes in the kit when it arrives. Costco now says "Out Of Stock" so looks like I got my order in just in time . I'll see what the kit lenses can do when the camera is delivered, one thing I'll point out is that I've gotten some gorgeous images with equipment that most people will sneer at (and there were others where I couldn't get the shot because my camera couldn't do it, oh well). I'll just note that a good zoom has been critical for photographing wildlife since there's no hope of moving to get the shot (and sometimes manual focus too -- the current Sony DSC ultrazoom that I'm using has a switch to use MF via the focus ring on the lens that I've had to use in situations where the camera focused on something other than what I wanted to focus on and I had no time to dig thru the menus to switch focus points, wildlife tends to not wait around!), so once the camera comes I'll definitely be looking at the 50-300 WR...