Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Hello posts

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems that over the last couple of months, there has been a pickup of new Hello posts - here on the forum. New Pentax users?! Personally, I think that it is absolutely terrific! Is it a sign that Pentax is starting to get a bit more traction in the market? Or is my mind just playing tricks on me - my imagination and I am sliding into early alzheimers?

06-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Or is my mind just playing tricks on me -
I don't think it is your imagination. I agree that it is nice to see all these new members joining , and participating.
06-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The K3 contest probably helped a bit, it was a nice incentive to join

I'm still new*ish here but I also noticed an increase in the past few months. Last year, I found out about PF by doing a google search because of a problem with my K5 and my answer was here. As the forum gets bigger, it'll get more and more hits on search engines, driving more people in. All good for the community and a nice indirect publicity for Pentax.
06-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Perhaps it's just me, but it seems that over the last couple of months, there has been a pickup of new Hello posts - here on the forum. New Pentax users?! Personally, I think that it is absolutely terrific! Is it a sign that Pentax is starting to get a bit more traction in the market? Or is my mind just playing tricks on me - my imagination and I am sliding into early alzheimers?

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
The K3 contest probably helped a bit, it was a nice incentive to join

I'm still new*ish here but I also noticed an increase in the past few months. Last year, I found out about PF by doing a google search because of a problem with my K5 and my answer was here. As the forum gets bigger, it'll get more and more hits on search engines, driving more people in. All good for the community and a nice indirect publicity for Pentax.
Absolutely no doubt that the K3 contest made up for at least 75 % of the new "Hello's".

This is good for the forum though: more people becoming members, more exposure of Ricoh/Pentax products ... all good !

BTW interested_observer ... if you reply to this post here, well ... you ain't got Alzheimer's !

JP

06-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Just a guess, but I would think our administrator controls the percentage of posts from various subforums, that get shown on the home page's "Recent Forum Discussions" section. So it may just appear there are more new members.

I also noticed an uptick in the number of posts from the "other non-Pentax cameras" forum.
06-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I was going to post something about this myself. I think the number of "hello I'm new" posts has greatly increased. And I think it started before the k-3 contest.

Maybe Adam would chime in with new member rates or a nice graph showing new members per day over the last year or so.
06-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
BTW interested_observer ... if you reply to this post here, well ... you ain't got Alzheimer's !
... well then its just probably old age catching up with me - since I'll be 64 this year, but it sure beats the alternative.

06-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
It does seem like a few more and the intro stage, but not so many seem to come back and say anything elsewhere on the forum.

06-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've been wondering about this, too, but I think we need a few facts, and I think Adam is the only one who can readily do the analysis from the site data. However, it might be viewed as commercial-in-confidence, even if we don't see it the same way.
06-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Now isn't that strange....?

.......I could have sworn, that I had also noticed a significant increase in new "Hello-Posts", and that would be since somewhere around autumn 2013.

However, I decided to make a simple count: How many pages per half-year does the overview of new posts under 'Welcomes and introductions' occupy? And here are the solid facts:

From begin January to begin June 2013: Page 108 - 70 = 39 pages (with 40 entries on each page)
From Begin June to end December 2013: Page 69 - 33 = 37 pages
From begin January to begin June 2014: Page 32 - 1 = 33 pages

So, why do we have this notion? One explanation could be that we take more interest in the newcomers and that we are more responsive now than before????
06-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Now isn't that strange....?
Now that's interesting, so nothings really changed much, yet we all have this feeling...
06-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
.......I could have sworn, that I had also noticed a significant increase in new "Hello-Posts", and that would be since somewhere around autumn 2013.

However, I decided to make a simple count: How many pages per half-year does the overview of new posts under 'Welcomes and introductions' occupy? And here are the solid facts:

From begin January to begin June 2013: Page 108 - 70 = 39 pages (with 40 entries on each page)
From Begin June to end December 2013: Page 69 - 33 = 37 pages
From begin January to begin June 2014: Page 32 - 1 = 33 pages

So, why do we have this notion? One explanation could be that we take more interest in the newcomers and that we are more responsive now than before????
The way I see it is this:

There were loads of new comers via the K3 contest but their initial post/thread were not always in the "Hello/Welcomes and Introductions" section.
I recall seeing lots of "K3 Contest" as opening lines for getting into this forum.

So ... maybe there were indeed many more that what it seems.

Anyway, it's all good that the numbers have been quite high.

JP