Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Hello from Indonesia!

Hi everyone. My name is Adrian and I'm a student from Indonesia. I recently acquired a nearly spanking new (OK fine, used) K3 with 18-135, 40mm and 20mm limited. I started from Canon dslr before it got stolen and transitioned to the Sony nex system, which imo is still one of the best price to performance to size to ergonomic package. I've indeed lusted after Pentax and their robust stuff after a particularly horrifying experience with my power zoom kit lens pretty much freezing in sub zero temperature, and finally took the plunge after seeing a mint K3 in Japan, especially as I'll be transitioning from sunny humid Jakarta to cold and kalt Germany for my uni. I hope to have a great time with this community!

06-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you did well to find a mint K3, there can't be many of those on the market just yet.
06-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! My Pentax got some good use in the cold winter this year, and it was just the battery which gave me trouble, but keeping a spare in my underjacket shirt for swapping fixed things.
06-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you did well to find a mint K3, there can't be many of those on the market just yet.
Japan is a haven for used goods if you know where to look for them from mint Leica M6, pentax mz-s to Nikon d4s

06-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adurianman Quote
Japan is a haven for used goods if you know where to look for them from mint Leica M6, pentax mz-s to Nikon d4s
Interesting, are the savings fairly substantial against new prices? and would they still be such a good buy after custom import duties and freighting around the world?

It's an avenue I'd never considered before.
06-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Interesting, are the savings fairly substantial against new prices? and would they still be such a good buy after custom import duties and freighting around the world?

It's an avenue I'd never considered before.
I don't think so for new gears, advantage of japan is more of gears that you can't find at any other places. For cameras like weird limited edition Leica etc, services like japancamerahunter is pretty good, but unless you're going there yourself (for a trip, not just for buying camera), I don't think there's considerable saving with freight, even though Japanese yen has devalued quite a lot. I don't think (I'm really not sure) there are custom duties for used goods though.