Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Pentax zx-50 w/Tamron 28-200 af LD lens

Hi all, Just joined the forum. Received a Pentax ZX-50 with a Tamron AF 28-200mm LD (if) zoom lens from my son-in-law. This is my first Pentax camera and it looks like new; however, it is film. I can play with it, but if I could find a digital camera that would accept the Tamron lens I would be even more happy. Any suggestions? Thanks, DonaldR

06-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Pentax DSLR will work with your 28-300mm (with full AF etc.), but it's not a lens I'd recommend. The 18-55mm kit lens will probably give you better image quality (plus a much wider field of view) on a DSLR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DonaldR Quote
Just joined the forum
Welcome here and your question has been answered already I see, how's that for a rapid response.
06-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
FANTASTIC!!!! Don

06-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You might look at the Pentax K-50 as a good starting point for digital. The K-500 is an option if your budget is tight. There is also the used market.

About the lens - as Adam said, it's not one that comes highly recommended (no superzooms are). But, you got it for free - there's no harm in trying it out to see if it fills your needs.

Oh, and welcome!
06-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The used market is a great option for a DSLR - especially if you're keeping costs down. Everything from the K100D Super on is a good option, and many are happy with the original models as well.
06-06-2014, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!

I actually have that same lens! My father had an old film body with the 28-200mm Tamron...I ended up getting the K-r with the 55-300mm and 18-55mm. Don't really use the 28-200 much.

A lot of the new camera bodies tend to be a little expensive IMO, so if your budget is tight I'd recommend an older body. Nothing wrong with an older body as lens are the real investments, which can get very expensive! Camera bodies, like cars, depreciate in value very quickly as they're used and replaced by newly released models. Lens on the other hand, hold their value.
06-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Very informative information...All. I guess the first thing to do is get some batteries and some film and take a few pics and see what I think. I know this isn't "high end stuff", but it will be something to plink around with. If I come to like the lens then I will look for a sensible ($$) digital camera to mount it on. I will look into your suggestions. I have a few other cameras, among them a Nikon Coolpix 8800. I should use it; however, $90 for a new battery has me stalled. Thanks again, Don

06-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Free ZX-50 not working?????

My "free" ZX-50 looks so good but it seems to have a problem. I installed new CR2 batteries and it turns on and will focus; however, no flash and the shutter does not trip. It just makes a "whirring" sound when I press the shutter release. At this point I have not installed film in the camera. Might make a difference but somehow I doubt it. I went on Ebay to possibly buy another body (for cheap) and found a bunch of them listed for "Repair and Parts". Seems like this model has some problems??? Any comments? Thanks again, Don
06-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DonaldR Quote
My "free" ZX-50 looks so good but it seems to have a problem. I installed new CR2 batteries and it turns on and will focus; however, no flash and the shutter does not trip. It just makes a "whirring" sound when I press the shutter release. At this point I have not installed film in the camera. Might make a difference but somehow I doubt it. I went on Ebay to possibly buy another body (for cheap) and found a bunch of them listed for "Repair and Parts". Seems like this model has some problems??? Any comments? Thanks again, Don
I'm pretty sure that's the same model I bought new around 1998 (now long gone) and while it was good for me at the time, it isn't great compared to other film bodies you can now get really cheap used. For example, I'd prefer my ZX-L or *ist (non D) over it, as well as the PZ-1. So do a little research in the forum database here and choose a different model.
06-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, DonaldR ... hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J
06-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
Pentax X-50

Sorry, no images to send. My "free" toy is just not working. Shutter won't trip. Too Bad!! Don
09-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a PZ-1 with the exact same problem. The mirror is locked in the upward position and the shutter will not trip. I was told that it was likely a stripped gear. Metal gears are apparently available though I have yet to locate them but at least in the case of the PZ-1 the repair is likely to exceed the value of the body. Good luck!

---------- Post added 09-06-14 at 07:28 AM ----------

I forgot to mention that I also have the same lens. It's been on the shelf for a few years but as I recall it works well but tends to be a little soft at certain focal lengths. That could be just my example of the lens or it could be that I don't have my viewfinder properly adjusted.
09-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #14

Original Poster
Unfortunately, not much I can do to fix the camera. I have a nice Nikon N80 I can refer back to. The Pentax lens looks new and I will put it up for sale if anyone is interested??? Too Bad! Don
02-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi again, I am looking for a DSLR to match up with my free 28/200 Tamron AF lens. I think I have settled on the D100D (super?). Just want a decent camera to put the lens to some use. Not too worried about total image perfection. Any thoughts out there? Don