Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Hello! New to forum + Pentax!

Hey there!

I'd consider myself a serious amateur and I'm about to make my first Pentax purchase. I've been looking into the k-x, k-500, and k-50 and have decided that k-50 is probably the best for me since I've some experience with other DSLR Canon, Olympus, and Nikon cameras. Also, I learned coding and graphic design in middle school and high school and it developed into an additional hobby, which I'm now picking back up after graduating college.

I'm pretty hopeful and excited about joining this forum!

06-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to PF .
06-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's plenty to see and do here.
06-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
pqx

Welcome, i'm sure many here can help you with your purchase.

06-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Pentaxworld.

The K-50 is an excellent choice.

The hard decision is not about the camera body but about what lens(es) to get, especially if you decide to skip the kit lenses. Plenty of opinions about that topic around here!
06-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Yup, I'm gonna try to go for the kit lens but I'm looking to invest in an additional macro lens as well.
06-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi mimi (?)
tell everyone your budget (approx. ) and what subjects you anticipate shooting and they will probably give you some useful advice as to which lens and body would be best for your needs.

Welcome aboard!

06-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hey calsan! So, I'm about to seal the deal on a white k-50 with a basic lens 18 - 35 mm kit. I'm looking to spend upwards of $100-$200 for a macro zoom lens, ideally something near 75-200mm. I spent a majority of my time with travel photography and taking pictures of landscapes, and a great deal of macro shots of nature and wildlife. I'm hoping to become more skilled at night shots as well (e.g., city life, street markets, etc.). I will be in Thailand for the next 13 months and I've taking additional precautions in purchasing a mini dehumidifier for my travels.

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 09:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by starlettmimi Quote
Hey calsan! So, I'm about to seal the deal on a white k-50 with a basic lens 18 - 35 mm kit. I'm looking to spend upwards of $100-$200 for a macro zoom lens, ideally something near 75-200mm. I spent a majority of my time with travel photography and taking pictures of landscapes, and a great deal of macro shots of nature and wildlife. I'm hoping to become more skilled at night shots as well (e.g., city life, street markets, etc.). I will be in Thailand for the next 13 months and I've taking additional precautions in purchasing a mini dehumidifier for my travels.
Since I'm still new and can't edit my posts yet...

I'd like to add that I'm not necessarily in need of shooting filming capabilities, since I primarily will be taking photos.
06-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starlettmimi Quote
Thanks everyone! Yup, I'm gonna try to go for the kit lens but I'm looking to invest in an additional macro lens as well.
About 100mm is a good length for macro, as it gives a handy working distance. But 35mm and 50mm macro lenses are probably more versatile for non-macro uses.
06-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
About 100mm is a good length for macro, as it gives a handy working distance. But 35mm and 50mm macro lenses are probably more versatile for non-macro uses.
Thanks Des! That's very insightful. I guess ideally a macro lens that isn't too heavy either, I'm not looking for a telephoto lens quite yet
06-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are also several cheap alternatives to a dedicated macro lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/262296-macro-any-means-possible.html

Just about any sharp prime can serve well as the basis for macro photography: just add (1) lens reversal or (2) extension tubes or (3) a glassless 2x teleconverter or (4) close-up filter(s)/diopter.

Personally I think having aperture control is a lot easier, so for me (3) and (4) are better options.

You said before that 75-200mm would be ideal. There are some zooms in that range that are called macros; what they really offer is close-focus rather than true 1:1 macro. But close-focus might be all you need.

As you can see from the thread above, many people have got good close-focus results even from unheralded lenses.
06-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A white K50 will look great.
Take the chance to figure out what the kit lens can and can't do, and if you think 50mm is a good focal length for what you want to do on macro. Good 100mm-ish macros will cost you over $300 and they don't tend to be lightweight...but there's no substitute for the longer FL and the magnification they bring.

That said, you might find a close-focus lens is enough for what you want to do. Take your time and enjoy the research phase.
06-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! My camera arrived and I'm taking a look at some close-focus lens you've suggested and alternatives to achieve macro photography. I greatly appreciate it!
06-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Pentaxworld.

The K-50 is an excellent choice.

The hard decision is not about the camera body but about what lens(es) to get, especially if you decide to skip the kit lenses. Plenty of opinions about that topic around here!
Yep totally agree with the whole quote 👍 my only suggestion is skip the 55-200 and get the 55-300 WR had mine for a month and wish I had of skipped the first for the second. Zoom addict here though nothing wrong with the first have had some awesome shots with it.
06-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #15

Very important

If you get old but perfect Pentax MF-lens, you can use them almost as AF-lens

I just want to tell you about simple trick by using MF lens on Pentax,
if you want to take photos wery fast .. almost so fast as with AF.

- put MF lenses on camera
- switch on AF (!!!)
- keep the trigger down
- turn focus ring to get the right sharpness
- camera will not take photo until centre is sharp
- when you get the best sharpness, camera automaticcaly takes a photo

With a little practice you can shoot almost fast as with AF by AF-lenses ...