Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #1

Greetings all.

Hi all My name is Jessica, I have recently purchased k100d Pentax (ofcourse) came to this forum to learn many, and many things... Thanks ALL

05-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jessica, i just joined yesterday
05-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Jessica, there are a lot of very good people on this forum, and they are more than willing to help !
05-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeh hopefully they will.

I would like to learn more about lenses.

But I dont know where to search in the forum.

Can anyone here share some light to me where to go.

I want to purchase some lenses for my k100d but i relise some lenses has auto focus and some dont, its getting alittle techinicle with their codes.. How can i tell if they are autofocus lense or non autofocus lense.?

05-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Jessica from somewhere!
Welcome and you'll find a wealth of information on almost any Pentax topic if you search the forum with keywords on the topic you're interested in.

If you're looking for details on lenses, look no further than the forum's own Lens review database, easily accessed via the Quicklinks menu bar, last selection from the drop-down menu.

As for autofocus (AF) lenses, they're easy to spot from the Pentax selection - they all have F, FA, FA J, D-FA or DA as part of their names (i.e. the K, M and A lenses are not AF). But as for the other brand names like Sigma and Tamron, check their individual details if they don't have an AF in their name...

Happy learning and snapping...
05-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Somewhere out there. Interesting philosophy you have there. Welcome to the forum and enjoy pentax gear
05-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your link ash.

I purchased a K100d with Sigma lense 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 DC.

Is that good lense? that came with the camera.

Purchased for $400 AUD GOOd pricing?
05-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You got a good camera body Jessica, and under good lighting conditions, your kit lens should perform OK. I don't know where you're at in your learning of photograhy - Starting off it will be fine, but if it indeed the Sigma lens (I think it's rather an 18-50), you may be disappointed with some of the images that it produces as you start to critique your own shots.

A better choice would be the Pentax kit lens, which is the DA 18-55 (f/3.5-5.6), priced at around AUD$150 retail (you'll get it much cheaper 2nd hand through this forum) - or better still is the DA 16-45 (f/4), which if you wanted to spend around AUD$400, you could find a forum member to post one to you (cheaper if you were in the US).

Basically it depends how much you want to spend for better quality glass. If you want to just have one lens with some zoom power, you could compromise with a Pentax DA 18-250, which is not too bad for a superzoom lens.

But I'm more an advocate for the 'fast fifty', which for the Pentax is the FA 50 f/1.4 lens which is the best value for the quality of photos you can produce with it. It can be bought at around US$200 new, but bear in mind it is a prime, not a zoom lens.

05-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You got a good camera body Jessica, and under good lighting conditions, your kit lens should perform OK. I don't know where you're at in your learning of photograhy - Starting off it will be fine, but if it indeed the Sigma lens (I think it's rather an 18-50), you may be disappointed with some of the images that it produces as you start to critique your own shots.

A better choice would be the Pentax kit lens, which is the DA 18-55 (f/3.5-5.6), priced at around AUD$150 retail (you'll get it much cheaper 2nd hand through this forum) - or better still is the DA 16-45 (f/4), which if you wanted to spend around AUD$400, you could find a forum member to post one to you (cheaper if you were in the US).

Basically it depends how much you want to spend for better quality glass. If you want to just have one lens with some zoom power, you could compromise with a Pentax DA 18-250, which is not too bad for a superzoom lens.

But I'm more an advocate for the 'fast fifty', which for the Pentax is the FA 50 f/1.4 lens which is the best value for the quality of photos you can produce with it. It can be bought at around US$200 new, but bear in mind it is a prime, not a zoom lens.
As for learning for photography, I'm am still at the beginner stage, but wanted to get a good camera thats why I selected k100d, not a P&S.

And ash yes, was 18-50mm sorry.

What is all this technicle term mean.... IE

DA 18-55 (f/3.5-5.6), = what is DA> and those number mean.

And you said. "Pentax is the FA 50 f/1.4 "=What is FA mean and the f/1.4?

Last edited by jhoac007; 05-04-2008 at 09:32 PM.
05-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
f8
Site Supporter

Hi and welcome!

Adam and Ole Oest do a good job explaining Pentax lenses.

Explaining the f-number..?

The Wikipedia article does a good job at that. Put it simply, the number indicates how much you can open up a lens and thus how much light can pass through it. Of course, the more the better, so you want to look for lenses with small f-number (yes, small in this case means more! ) . And because you can also use much faster shutter speed times with those lenses that have a larger opening they are also called fast lenses.