Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Hi Everyone

I'm Howard aka Howz Image.
I'm strictly an amateur despite the moniker.
My location is Armadale, a southeastern suburb of Perth, Western Australia.
I have joined this forum to socialize and to learn the many many things I still have to learn in this field, and I am sure I will find an abundance of good teachers.

I am currently into mainly film rediscovery and have a pair of old Pentax being Z10 and MZ10 along with a fair selection of lenses that keep me occupied searching for that magic image.
My first love is black and white especially portraiture. I like to compose and complete my image in the camera. Not with photoshop. Cropping is the exception.

I do dabble in digital but do not have a DSLR at the present time. Only a pair of Fuji S series compacts.
However I am looking to pick up a Pentax K-x or similar to make use of my many KAF2 lenses.

Being an "oldie" on a pension does limit one to the pricier quality gear one would wish for but as the saying goes;"Make the best use of the tools at hand and anything is possible".

I'm not one to brag but I have seen photos taken with big $$$ outfits that I would be ashamed to throw in my recycle bin without shredding.
That said, well, we all need to start somewhere irrespective of the gear we have at our disposal.

Cheers for now and I will catch up with some more study.

Howz Image

06-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome, Howard! I like your attitude - I have a feeling you'll go far and have a ball while doing it.
06-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Howard, welcome to the Forum!
There's quite a few here who shoot film as well as digital, in my case only a couple rolls a month, but hundreds of digital clicks. Thanks to the enduring K-mount we have that option.
The K-x would be a good choice for an entry body, but I'll add another suggestion for you to consider; The K10D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club-36.html
Compared to the K-x, you'll give up 2MP, HDR, Video, LV and in-camera AA-power (but that is available with the BG2 grip) plus, the K10D is not nearly as good at high-ISO, either. The real-world max ISO is about 400; Seriously.
But it also has a different type of sensor, the CCD, which renders colors, tones and sharpness levels in a way many describe as 'film-like', and it's just as true for B+W as color renditions.
Granted, that's hardly an unbiased opinion. Check out the photos on the thread and see for yourself.
Good luck!
Ron
06-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

06-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome Howard, glad that you could join the PF family.
06-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
I thank you all for your warm welcome.
Sorry I haven't had the time to come back and answer every post, but I have been called on to take on more chores than usual and wouldn't you know it, they don't make 26 hour days.

Thank you to JayBee451 and to beach gardener and also big thanks to Ron for recommendation and info on the K10D.
Have had a quick look but will do an indepth as soon as I have the time.
Thanks also to Oregon jim for your kindly summation.

I leave my desktop pc connected so I can sneak peaks as I pass so here's hoping for a few spare minutes to indulge further.

Cheers,
Howard.
06-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

You don't need a fortune to take good photographs. Keep an eye on the used market and get a few things you know you'll use...

06-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you crack on with the learning bit, but remember to enjoy yourself along the way.