Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
'Howdy' from the Lone Star State!

Greetings!

New user here on the forums and decided to stop by and say hello instead of just lurking through the threads.

I am a long time Pentax owner and fan dating back to my first Pentax SLR, a trusty K1000 hand-me-down, that has been by my side through more moves, kids, drops, spills and accidents than I would care to share...

After years of playing with various Nikon, Canon and Sony compact digitals, I was ready to give up the compact life and try a new digital SLR. I happened across the forums while researching some cameras and finally narrowed my choices to a select few. After pondering for a while, I decided that the K-500 was right up my alley and would fit my active family lifestyle without breaking the bank (have the kids moved out yet? ). I know there are a lot who may criticize my purchase but I have to warn you - this camera has, by far, exceeded the hopes and expectations I had for my first DSLR. Let's face it, I am not out to sell my photos, do professional photo shoots or anything of that nature! I am out for the thrill of the experience in general! I am capturing memories for myself and if anyone gets a kick out of them as well, so be it!

So with all that said, I have to get this out of the way - Way to go Pentax! You have once again stunned me with an amazing product.

If anyone is interested, I am including a link to my photobucket album from my first outing with the K-500. It just so happened to come on the day of a family Zoo trip, so it got loaded straight form the box, to a bag and carried along for the day. As I mentioned, this is my first DSLR, so comments and critique are more than welcome, but try to keep the bashing to a minimum - I'm kind of a softy

Last edited by BiggTexx; 06-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
06-14-2014, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2

Greetings and welcome from another forum newbie :-)

I had a look at your pictures and I like them, especially the first one with the bird is great! Let us see more of your pictures.

And for the K-500 - I think it's a capable little camera with a great price/value ratio. Definitely nothing to be ashamed of!
06-14-2014, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BiggTexx Quote
I am capturing memories for myself and if anyone gets a kick out of them as well, so be it!
Welcome aboard, lurking for you now a thing of the past and that's one of the best attitudes towards photography I've seen for a long time.
06-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieterson Quote
And for the K-500 - I think it's a capable little camera with a great price/value ratio. Definitely nothing to be ashamed of!
Thanks Dieterson, my thoughts exactly! And I look forward to sharing more images as time progresses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
and that's one of the best attitudes towards photography I've seen for a long time.
Thanks Kerrowdown!

I started out in photography by taking a summer workshop back in my pre-teens. Of course, it all started out with the basics such as the mechanics of exposure, aperture settings, shutter speeds, film speeds... Then it came down to what I think really started my journey - developing our own film. For a Friday assignment, each of the students were asked to go out over the weekend and capture at least 3 rolls of B&W films in different ISO speeds. If memory serves me correctly, I think we were shooting the old Fujifilm Neopan?

Anyways, I went out exploring that weekend and burned through at least 10 rolls of film, which of course my paying parents were thrilled about , and come Monday morning we had the surprise of our own darkroom being setup and fully equipped. After lessons on what to do, how to do it and so forth, we were turned loose in small groups to develop our film rolls.

The moment that caught me was seeing my own images 'come to life' so to speak. Granted, some of those pictures were total trash in the end, but I was proud of all that I had accomplished. Even my mistakes taught me a valuable lesson! In the end, some of those images spoke to me in a way that no one else could, or will ever understand. To this day I have some of those pictures but they have long since been tucked away in Mylar sleeves and 'archived'.

« Hello! | Hello »