Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2014, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #1

Greetings from the Upper East Coast

Greetings from the newest Pentax devotee.

Though my initial photographic education back in 1976 involved a Spotmatic, I have only recently acquired my own Pentax gear and have become a believer. Last summer I became friends with a gentleman who was handling his late father's estate, and among the numerous cameras in his collection were a black Pentax KX, one of the iconic cameras of my teen years, with an SMC 35/2.8, and Super-Takumar 50/1.4 & 85/1.9 M42 lenses with adapter. Sadly, none of this equipment was in working order, having been neglected for decades. Reluctantly, I decided to purchase the lot for a nominal sum. After some research, I learned of the pedigree of the Super-Takumar lenses and decided it was worthwhile investing in CLA for all of it. In particular, the 85/1.9 excited me because to my eye 85 is a perfect focal length. Having for years had no use for a 50, I now find them the most versatile focal length and am a bit spoiled for choice. The Super-Takumar 50/1.5 was yellowed to about thee stops, making f1.4 equivalent to about f4. I thought it was hopeless, but discovered that not only was it salvageable but also considered one of the best 50s ever.

I showed this 50 to a photographer friend, and he began to wax lyrical about the Spotmatic he had when he first started out professionally and asked if I could get him one. A half-hour later, I did. Before passing it on, I shot a roll of Ilford PanF and was duly impressed. When My wife & I presented it to him, he nearly broke down in tears. And no wonder; I found the Spotmatic such a joy to use that I had to get my own. It arrived yesterday morning, a black Spotmatic SP in excellent condition and newly CLA'd. It's a testament to the quality of these cameras that nearly 50 years later they are still functional & reparable. Long live film, I say.

06-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the interesting introduction.
06-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, great intro and equipment still going strong many years on.
06-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
JBA

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the interesting introduction.
Thank you for the welcome. Glad you found my introduction interesting and not too prolix.

---------- Post added 06-17-14 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, great intro and equipment still going strong many years on.
Thank you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always knew I'd get a Spotmatic someday. The KX was the catalyst, which came unexpectedly. The gent from whom I acquired it described Pentax as "the poor man's Nikon", a comment I now look back on with amusement.