Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hi From Saratoga Springs NY

Hey everyone, I'm Jay. First the forums have been a huge help to me, and snapsort. I spent sometime researching my first dslr, and ended up picking a k50. Found a great deal at buy dig and have had some great luck I think with the kit lens. I like the 18-55, but rarely touch the 50-200. I picked up a used old prime 50mm and 135, the 50 does well but the 135 I can never get to focus well. I'm looking at a couple other lens to get going, specifically the
Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5!

So below are a couple of my favorites from the past couple weeks I've taken. I really need to learn how to process photos better!

06-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Welcome. I'm originally from ballston spa. Just south of you. I look forward to seeing your images of an area I am quite familiar with.
06-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Jay, and welcome!

Looks like you're off to a great start with your K-50. My wife is having a blast with hers!
06-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It looks like you're getting out and about with your new camera! Photography is an active pursuit -- the picture opportunities don't come to you, usually... but the seeing is also a very active part of the process: you just start to see the world differently when you have a flexible camera with you. Good luck with the exploration, Jay.

06-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome from Syracuse.
06-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the hunt for the Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5, it's a great lens, I've heard it called "a stack of primes" by some folk.
06-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Jay....you come from a photogenic town, especially in race season.

I had the A35-105, sold it, and just replaced it. It takes very good photos, has really nice color, but is heavy and is a manual focus lens. I saw one just the other day, I think on this forum and you should be able to find one for about a $100. There is currently at least one for sale on the Forum for $150.

Some of my best photos have been with the 50-200, especially in daylight, including some pretty awesome shots on a whale watch. You may want to give it a chance - I think you'll be pleased.

You can go nuts with lenses - trust me, I know - but a couple that I really like are:

- Pentax DA*60-250, which is about $1,200 but worth saving for and it covers a lot of focal length
- Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, which is not that expensive and also covers a good deal of focal territory
- DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited, which fits in your pocket.

The FA Limiteds are legendary, also work on film cameras, have large apertures, but are very expensive.

But the DA Limiteds (there is a very nice 35mm macro in addition to the 70 I mentioned) are more contemporary, cheaper and also very good.

You can find reviews/ratings of these and more on the Forum under Lenses. I often read the Lens reviews on this forum and they are usually a very good guide Just be warned that I find a lot of lens tempting even when I have a perfectly good lens of the same general type. Enjoy.
06-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Welcome Jay....you come from a photogenic town, especially in race season.

I had the A35-105, sold it, and just replaced it. It takes very good photos, has really nice color, but is heavy and is a manual focus lens. I saw one just the other day, I think on this forum and you should be able to find one for about a $100. There is currently at least one for sale on the Forum for $150.

Some of my best photos have been with the 50-200, especially in daylight, including some pretty awesome shots on a whale watch. You may want to give it a chance - I think you'll be pleased.

You can go nuts with lenses - trust me, I know - but a couple that I really like are:

- Pentax DA*60-250, which is about $1,200 but worth saving for and it covers a lot of focal length
- Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, which is not that expensive and also covers a good deal of focal territory
- DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited, which fits in your pocket.

The FA Limiteds are legendary, also work on film cameras, have large apertures, but are very expensive.

But the DA Limiteds (there is a very nice 35mm macro in addition to the 70 I mentioned) are more contemporary, cheaper and also very good.

You can find reviews/ratings of these and more on the Forum under Lenses. I often read the Lens reviews on this forum and they are usually a very good guide Just be warned that I find a lot of lens tempting even when I have a perfectly good lens of the same general type. Enjoy.

I've been reading lots of reviews on the site here, very very helpful. I have been thinking of selling the 50-200 in favor of the 55-300 wr, but maybe I should try it out.

06-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you everyone else! I travel nearly every weekend, and am stationed here with the Navy. I should try to explore the area a bit haha.
06-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
welcome from your neighbor to the north. (i'm up in corinth).
Like you i came out here in the navy, but i never left. There's beautiful hiking just a short drive away, and, there's always track season. But i avoid saratoga like the plague that time of year.

my lens choice gravitates toward primes. I love the limited's. About the only time i ever put a zoom on is if i need the WR (18-55) or need the length (i also have the F 70-210)

This is a great location (but the winters can be brutal)

happy shooting
06-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, jrobe121 ... hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J