Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #1

Hello from Basel, Switzerland

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello.

I am a 39y/o Dutch male living in Switzerland and having enormous fun with photos and motion pictures. As a trained physician working in pharma, I know my limits and can only dream of making images in the likes of what I see here on the forum and elsewhere. But I love taking photos myself.

I started out in the photography world with the old Practica from my father, combined with the usual 35, 50, 135mm lenses. Later this set was combined with a point and shoot Olympus PEN which would make half-frame pics with great results. Then upgraded to a Minolta SLR with a full kit of lenses.

20 years later, I am very happy that current technology allows me to create photos/movies with shallow DoP and well controlled exposure, because it allows me to focus more on the real difficult things: composition and the right moment.

The adapters for M4/3 and PQ have changed my photographic life tremendously. Look at my gear, and tell me what you think of the possibilities.....

Anyway, this is my current gear:

Bodies:
  • Canon 1000D
  • Olympus E-PL1
  • Pentax Q10
  • Sony NEX VG20
AF Lenses:
  • Tamron 28-300 (to go with the 1000D for the family pics)
  • Canon EF 1.8/50mm II (getting the most out of the 1000D)
  • Olympus 18-150 (to go with the E-PL1, again for the family pics)
  • Sony 18-200 (for the VG20 during dynamic events that need quick re-framing using the zoom over shallow DoP)
MF Lenses:
  • Minolta MC Rokkor 2.8/28mm
  • Minolta MC Rokkor 1.8/50mm
  • Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 2/50mm
  • Minolta Auto Rokkor PF 1.8/55mm
  • Minolta MC Rokkor 1.2/58mm
  • Minolta MC Rokkor 1.7/85mm (my favorite, creating a very nice fast 170mm FF equiv on the E-PL1, but its big, heavy and large)
  • Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 2.8/135mm (nice compact tele, for when I need to travel light)
  • Tokina AT-X 4.0/100-300mm (huge but fast zoom)
  • Pentax TV zoom 1.0/8-48mm C-mount (VGA resolution)
  • Sony TV zoom 1.8/12.5-75mm
MD-NEX, MD-PQ, MD-M4/3, and C-PQ adapters

I am out there to have fun with all the different opportunities, including motion pictures with my 15mm videorig. Now trying to learn how I can use the 85mm Rokkor on all bodies in the best possible ways.

Furthermore, I am trying to figure out the best equipment for the following events (amateur-level recording only).
  • Music/Ballet exhibition of my kids
  • Video: VG20 with appropriate fast Rokkor with complete rig on stativ to capture the overal scene in HD, stopped down to obtain appropriate DoP.
  • Video: PQ10 with Pentax TV zoom for close ups at HD, on very light-weight tuned-down shoulder Rig for stability
  • Photo: E-PL1 with 85mm for close ups and 28mm for 50mm equiv general pics.
  • This means I would run around with only the PQ10 and E-PL1, which I think is quite manageable.
I can come up with other scenarios, but I think you get the picture now...

KR,
hjns

Attached Images

06-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
06-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, that lens just dwarfs the Pentax.
06-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, that lens just dwarfs the Pentax.
Yes, it does. It also is a very soft lens (classified by Pentax/Ricoh as "VGA-lens"), has a lot of CA and color fringing and it kind of renders the PQ10 quite useless. I yesterday "won" a Variogon 1,8/8-48 Schneider-Kreuznach Nr.T228* on Ebay for 70 EUR (with the Beaulieu Reflex MR8 still attached), so I can honor the IQ of the PQ10 in a much better way.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard!
Thanks. Looking forwards to interact with the community!

06-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.
06-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, hjns ... Minolta is my secend favorite system & hope to see some images soon ... Salut, J

(some of my most recent additions)