Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Hello! I'm new here!

I thought I ought to introduce myself! I'm an academic researcher, I live in Northern Virginia but I'll soon be moving up to Boston, and I like to travel a lot, both for my work and for visiting friends all over the place. You can see some of my work here.

I'm pretty new to serious photography. I took a few classes on photography as a kid/teenager and played around with my father's all-manual film camera, but I just used a digital point-and-shoot for the past decade or so. I did enjoy taking pictures of the places I visited on my travels, however, and a year or two ago I started talking with one of my gamer friends who has a serious interest in photography. It turned out that my camera (Canon SX120) had some manual controls, which he taught me how to use, and I basically went nuts with it.

Eventually, after months of him saying (and I paraphrase), "DUDE. SERIOUSLY. JUST GET A DSLR ALREADY!" I decided that landing my dream job was a a good enough reason to celebrate, and bought the K-3 + 31mm Limited bundle that was on sale at the time. It seemed like the best camera/lens body for the amount of money I was willing to spend, the sensor stabilization seemed like a great thing for taking pictures in dimly-lit museums with no tripod and no flash (something I sometimes need to do for my work), and weather sealing is great-- my last camera came a few inches away from death by BBQ sauce. My friend has a K-5, and having someone around with the same brand of camera around to talk to was also a plus.

My friend told me that I should start reading this forum, so here I am! I look forward to hanging out with you guys!

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 08:26 PM ----------

As for what I do research on-- basically, linguistics of dead dead dead languages, usually with some kind of archaeology tie-in. Right now, I mostly work on obscure dialects of Ancient Greek. So, I go to academic conferences a lot, and I've been on a couple of archaeological digs.

Anyway, this is where my handle comes from. In the Odyssey, when Odysseus goes to the Cyclops' cave and the Cyclops asks his name, Odysseus says οὔτις 'nobody.' First ever pseudonym? I don't know. But, Ancient Greek has two different forms of 'no' depending on which grammatical construction you use. So, after Odysseus and his men (SPOILER ALERT) stab the Cyclops in the eye and the Cyclops starts yelling about how nobody is trying to kill him, his Cyclops buddies say, "Well, if nobody (metis) is trying to kill you, we're going home." The thing is, that form of 'nobody' (μήτις) is really close to the word for 'cleverness, cunning' (μῆτις). So, the other Cyclops are basically saying, "Well, if Mr. Smartpants is killing you..." Then all the other Cyclopes go home, and Odysseus sits there giggling about how clever he is.

06-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. K3+31 Ltd! What a way to start. It would be a fantasy combo. A long long time ago I did a semester of Sanskrit but didn't pursue it. So there's two reasons to be impressed by your post.
06-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I thought I ought to introduce myself! I'm an academic researcher, I live in Northern Virginia but I'll soon be moving up to Boston, and I like to travel a lot, both for my work and for visiting friends all over the place. You can see some of my work here.

I'm pretty new to serious photography. I took a few classes on photography as a kid/teenager and played around with my father's all-manual film camera, but I just used a digital point-and-shoot for the past decade or so. I did enjoy taking pictures of the places I visited on my travels, however, and a year or two ago I started talking with one of my gamer friends who has a serious interest in photography. It turned out that my camera (Canon SX120) had some manual controls, which he taught me how to use, and I basically went nuts with it.

Eventually, after months of him saying (and I paraphrase), "DUDE. SERIOUSLY. JUST GET A DSLR ALREADY!" I decided that landing my dream job was a a good enough reason to celebrate, and bought the K-3 + 31mm Limited bundle that was on sale at the time. It seemed like the best camera/lens body for the amount of money I was willing to spend, the sensor stabilization seemed like a great thing for taking pictures in dimly-lit museums with no tripod and no flash (something I sometimes need to do for my work), and weather sealing is great-- my last camera came a few inches away from death by BBQ sauce. My friend has a K-5, and having someone around with the same brand of camera around to talk to was also a plus.

My friend told me that I should start reading this forum, so here I am! I look forward to hanging out with you guys!

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 08:26 PM ----------

As for what I do research on-- basically, linguistics of dead dead dead languages, usually with some kind of archaeology tie-in. Right now, I mostly work on obscure dialects of Ancient Greek. So, I go to academic conferences a lot, and I've been on a couple of archaeological digs.

Anyway, this is where my handle comes from. In the Odyssey, when Odysseus goes to the Cyclops' cave and the Cyclops asks his name, Odysseus says οὔτις 'nobody.' First ever pseudonym? I don't know. But, Ancient Greek has two different forms of 'no' depending on which grammatical construction you use. So, after Odysseus and his men (SPOILER ALERT) stab the Cyclops in the eye and the Cyclops starts yelling about how nobody is trying to kill him, his Cyclops buddies say, "Well, if nobody (metis) is trying to kill you, we're going home." The thing is, that form of 'nobody' (μήτις) is really close to the word for 'cleverness, cunning' (μῆτις). So, the other Cyclops are basically saying, "Well, if Mr. Smartpants is killing you..." Then all the other Cyclopes go home, and Odysseus sits there giggling about how clever he is.
Love the story. I might just change my own name. LOL
06-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Love your photos, I don't know if you planned it or it was a limitation of you camera or skill but the moody slightly under exposed look is nice. I love the high contrast and the shadows.

06-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Outis ... Hope to see some more images soon ... Salut, J
06-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, we will all need to be very careful with the spelling of your name...

As there is a very famous squirrel around here on the forum called Otis, just one letter different.
06-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Welcome. K3+31 Ltd! What a way to start. It would be a fantasy combo. A long long time ago I did a semester of Sanskrit but didn't pursue it. So there's two reasons to be impressed by your post.
Yeah, the 31mm has pretty much ruined me for other lenses. And Sanskrit is fun. And hard. Quite a bit harder than Ancient Greek

QuoteOriginally posted by wilton Quote
Love your photos, I don't know if you planned it or it was a limitation of you camera or skill but the moody slightly under exposed look is nice. I love the high contrast and the shadows.
It's probably actually a limitation of my monitor-- I do all of my postprocessing on my mediocre laptop screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF, Outis ... Hope to see some more images soon ... Salut, J
Thanks! Do you know of any good photography resources in French? It would be nice to comment on francophone Flickr users' pages in French, but I don't know any of the words for photographic terminology in French, which makes it hard.
06-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter

... Thanks! Do you know of any good photography resources in French? It would be nice to comment on francophone Flickr users' pages in French, but I don't know any of the words for photographic terminology in French, which makes it hard.
Hi again ... I will try to find a decent source for you, but please do feel free to comment in (simple) English. On the written level, many French are quite good ... it's the oral comprehension portion that's much more difficult.

Salut, J

06-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! And it's not because I worry that people can't understand English-- it's mostly that I want to practice my French!
06-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks! And it's not because I worry that people can't understand English-- it's mostly that I want to practice my French!
D'accord J