Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you just want the grip for the vertical hold, it is my opinion that option is highly overrated. Your K-30 is a sports car, why saddle it with a bolt-on camper.
I agree, until I suddenly needed one. And then I really needed one - it was obvious, and no one had to tell me so. I ordered one for each body the next day, and I seldom take them off now.

But before that it was just like you say - extra bulk for no good reason.

06-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
the grip gives me peace of mind that I can walk into the nearest 7-11 for AA's and keep my gear going.
That was my one misgiving when I sold the grip. The option to use AA's is a good thing and one of the strong points of both the K-30 and K-50.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I agree, until I suddenly needed one. And then I really needed one - it was obvious, and no one had to tell me so. I ordered one for each body the next day, and I seldom take them off now.

But before that it was just like you say - extra bulk for no good reason.
I will likely change my mind if I ever have to do any traditional portraiture

As is now, I often shoot vertical rotated right and release the shutter using whatever finger is handy.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 10:27 PM ----------

It has happened to me once or twice with the K-3.
I hear you in regards to the K-3 battery life. That characteristic in tandem with the long time to charge is why I am going to order a backup this next week.

Steve

(...am thinking about when my daughter's Pentax charger fried her K10D battery in the middle of the great Indian Thar Desert leaving her with a smoking charger, no power options, and the nearest Pentax dealer some 2000 miles away...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.
06-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #18

No offense taken - I'm a native of this "hell hole" called California that's always been a favorite place for Japanese to live and raise their children (such as many of my classmates growing up). Actually, I was even offended by your saying that about Phoenix, AZ - and I've never even lived there! Unless you're literally talking about the heat only. Honestly, if there's not somewhere you like in California I wonder what's wrong with you. You don't have to like the nicer Southern California beaches where I live, but there's the Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, the ski resorts, the central coast, the high desert, San Diego, Yosemite, ... there's got to be somewhere you like! It's just a guess, but I think you'll find fewer Japanese grocery stores in Colorado!

Anyhow, you may indeed need to move away from there - especially if you're in a bad neighborhood or household. But are you prepared to be happy elsewhere? Has it worked in the past? If so you should make the change right away, but if not ...
LOL! Sorry. Temperature, not people! I know the upper Cali area is nice too. Cali also tends to be a bit overpriced -- though admittedly I am not sure about the north. In regard to elsewhere -- oh yes. I have lived in Ireland, Japan, Etc. and been quite happy. I just can't take the heat that makes you feel like your skin is melting when you step out your front door.

Ultimately I am waiting on Pentax to have a button on the camera that simply rotates the image sensor inside...

Last edited by tkj365; 06-21-2014 at 05:30 AM.
06-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I bought grips for both my K-7 and K-5.

One has only been taken out of the box but never used. The other is only used when shooting with the DA* 60-250 and then only to better balance the combo in the hand.

I haven't come to grips with using the grip for portrait orientation. (Sorry about that )

06-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Traditionally, Pentax hasn't had a grip for cameras, except the flagship cameras. The K200 is the only exception that I can think of. That's one of the reasons why people buy upper end cameras K5/K5 II/K3, along with faster operation, deeper buffers, and more buttons (along with other things). If you need a grip, I wouldn't hesitate to get a used K5 or K5 II and sell your K30. It really wouldn't be that hard to do.
06-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wilton Quote
I just picked up a K-30 (seemed Identical to the K-50 to me for less money) and I am so disappointed that there is no battery grip for this model.
So let me see if I understand this: you bought the K-30 because it was cheaper than the K-50 and are now disappointed that it doesn't have the same features as the more expensive K-50. Right?
Sorry, but this is a bit like saying "I bought a Camaro because it was cheaper than the Corvette and I'm really disappointed that it doesn't have all the features or handle the same".
06-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So let me see if I understand this: you bought the K-30 because it was cheaper than the K-50 and are now disappointed that it doesn't have the same features as the more expensive K-50. Right?
Sorry, but this is a bit like saying "I bought a Camaro because it was cheaper than the Corvette and I'm really disappointed that it doesn't have all the features or handle the same".
Does the K-50 have a Grip?

06-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tkj365 Quote
Does the K-50 have a Grip?
No, as far as I know it doesn't. I haven't researched it though, as I would if I were considering buying one. The OP's basic complaint appears to be that he's disappointed that Pentax's cheapest camera doesn't have the same features/capabilities as the more expensive ones. He didn't do the research before buying so therefore there's something wrong with Pentax.
06-21-2014, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Ultimately I am waiting on Pentax to have a button on the camera that simply rotates the image sensor inside...
Wow - did this comment just slip by everyone?

What a cool idea! Ricoh, are you listening?

(I'm not sure how that would play with the viewfinder & pentaprism - requires some additional thinking)
06-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Cali also tends to be a bit overpriced
No doubt it can be expensive. But there are plenty of places in California with acceptable temperatures, which is what confused me. You obviously haven't been to the right spots - including a nearby city who's motto is "world's best climate" - and it actually might be right!
06-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am not sure about the north.
Terrible, simply TERRIBLE. You are best to resettle elsewhere...

Steve

---------- Post added 06-21-14 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, the OP bought the K-30 because it was cheaper than the K-50 and is disappointed because it does not have the same features as the K-3.

Steve
06-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

No, the OP bought the K-30 because it was cheaper than the K-50 and is disappointed because it does not have the same features as the K-3.
Ricoh pulling a clear case of bait-and-switch!
06-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
Okay, now I understand.

Ricoh pulling a clear case of bait-and-switch!
Clearly.
06-22-2014, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by wilton Quote
I'm new here and a little disappointed
Welcome to the forum, is this not just a case of "caveat emptor', meanwhile enjoy this one until your in a position to be able to upgrade to what you would really like in the future.
06-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #30

Wow - did this comment just slip by everyone?

What a cool idea! Ricoh, are you listening?

(I'm not sure how that would play with the viewfinder & pentaprism - requires some additional thinking)
The Pentaprism would just need to be bigger. Then you mask it according to the rotation. Not too difficult. I may have to buy and K200 and see what I can hack up.