Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #46
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Original Poster
Why do so many people read more than what was written? The numerous "did not do his research" is baffling. The OP, read I, did research and hence noted, unlike at least one naysayer, that the K-30 like the K50 does not have a grip. I decided to buy the K-30 in spite of the camera not having a grip because I like the colors it produces, the options it allows and it is the best dollar for dollar WR camera around.

One of the reasons that a charger can burn a battery to coal and the nearest Pentax dealer is more than 2000 miles away is partly due to the perceived convenience of the brand. If you needed a Canon battery maybe you could have walked in a pharmacy and they would have a section that could give you a replacement. A friend of mine tried to sell me on "anything from Canon" including a T1i because I can "get everything I want for it". The two biggest reasons I would like a grip is that it just feels better, I hate the cramping in my pinky because it's just hanging there. The second reason is I like choices, I like the option of using something that I see others use to be more efficient if I can. In this case I can't, and I've decided to live with it, it doesn't mean buyer's remorse but it doesn't mean I don't have the right to gripe, maybe that's what will get the feature in the next model.

If it meant trading WR for a grip then the answer is a very loud NO! But the higher end brands suggest that trade is not necessary. In fact, given the naming scheme of the Pentax, the K-30 is not all that entry level, they just decided to stop making true entry level cameras and by default the K-30 became the new entry level. Even so, the K-200D was an entry level camera and it did have a grip (or so I read). The point is that having options is a good thing and that's what makes Canon number 1, only the 100D doesn't have a battery grip option. Look at the argument for lens, Oh Nikon has so many and Canon has so many but really, how many lens does the average pro own? Better yet, how many does the average pro use regularly? 3, 4 maybe 5? but the opportunity for choice is what is marketed right?

But I understand some people just come here to vent at others right? Come on now you can say it, it's OK, just let it all out :-)

Anyway I took some sunset shots with the camera and I'm loving it, but I'll still gripe. :-)


Last edited by wilton; 06-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.
06-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just don't think (assuming a grip is an absolute necessity) that it would be a particularly expensive propostition to sell the K30 and buy a used K5 or K5 II. That's what I would do, assuming I needed some feature the K30 didn't offer (faster frame rate, deeper buffer, 12 bit processing or whatever). If you don't really need the grip that much, then stick with what you have. It isn't a big deal either way, but railing against Pentax's decision on a camera that is no longer produced seems somewhat futile.
I agree - if the need is genuine and critical, the means (money) is usually found to meet that need, even when it's a great sacrifice to do so.

Honestly, I suspect (though I can't pretend to know) that the OP's need isn't critical, but we should try to avoid answering as if such needs are so rare that anyone else who wants it might be cockoo!

---------- Post added 06-30-14 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wilton Quote
One of the reasons that a charger can burn a battery to coal and the nearest Pentax dealer is more than 2000 miles away is partly due to the perceived convenience of the brand.

My two biggest reasons I would like a grip is that it just feels better, I hate the cramping in my pinky because it's just hanging there. The second reason is I like choices, I like option of using something that I see help others use to be more efficient if I can. In this case I can't and I've decided to live with it, it doesn't mean buyer's remorse but it doesn't mean I don't have the right to gripe, maybe that's what will get the feature in the next model.

If it meant trading WR for a grip then the answer is a very loud NO! But the higher end brands suggest that trade is not necessary. In fact, given the naming scheme of the Pentax, the K-30 is not all that entry level, they just decided to stop making true entry level cameras and by default the K-30 became the new entry level. Even so, the K-200D was an entry level camera and it did have a grip (or so I read).
Is the option to use AA batteries a key reason you don't want to upgrade? If so, remember that the recent (K-5 and later) battery grips include AA trays (even the off-brand clones).

Other than focus peaking, a K-5 II or later has almost zero downsides (and lots of upsides) compared to what you have. Rondec's idea is sound.

BTW, the K200D was a mid-line camera - at least as high as the K-30 - which was mostly derived from the top-line K10D which preceded it.
06-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #48
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I agree - if the need is genuine and critical, the means (money) is usually found to meet that need, even when it's a great sacrifice to do so.

Honestly, I suspect (though I can't pretend to know) that the OP's need isn't critical, but we should try to avoid answering as if such needs are so rare that anyone else who wants it might be cockoo!

---------- Post added 06-30-14 at 05:43 PM ----------



Is the option to use AA batteries a key reason you don't want to upgrade? If so, remember that the recent (K-5 and later) battery grips include AA trays (even the off-brand clones).

Other than focus peaking, a K-5 II or later has almost zero downsides (and lots of upsides) compared to what you have. Rondec's idea is sound.

BTW, the K200D was a mid-line camera - at least as high as the K-30 - which was mostly derived from the top-line K10D which preceded it.
Not the AA batteries at all, they are more of a plus. It's just a cash-flow issue, I've got to live within my means. I can't allow a hobby to let me overspend, at least not too much :-). Like I said, best bang for the buck available right now, I thought of the K-50 and the K5ii (I really like the K-5ii) but I'll just save up for the next model or the mythical K-1 I keep hearing about. In fact, I see the K-50 as only an attempt to correct the complaints of an ugly camera in the K-30, which to me seems quite ok, except for the grip, lol.

The next time I write about a new Pentax it should be this grip makes it perfect, or me eating humble pie and saying, awww, it was nothing, you guys were right I should have gotten over it.
07-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #49
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
QuoteOriginally posted by wilton Quote
Why do so many people read more than what was written? The numerous "did not do his research" is baffling. The OP, read I, did research and hence noted, unlike at least one naysayer, that the K-30 like the K50 does not have a grip. I decided to buy the K-30 in spite of the camera not having a grip because I like the colors it produces, the options it allows and it is the best dollar for dollar WR camera around.

One of the reasons that a charger can burn a battery to coal and the nearest Pentax dealer is more than 2000 miles away is partly due to the perceived convenience of the brand. If you needed a Canon battery maybe you could have walked in a pharmacy and they would have a section that could give you a replacement. A friend of mine tried to sell me on "anything from Canon" including a T1i because I can "get everything I want for it". The two biggest reasons I would like a grip is that it just feels better, I hate the cramping in my pinky because it's just hanging there. The second reason is I like choices, I like the option of using something that I see others use to be more efficient if I can. In this case I can't, and I've decided to live with it, it doesn't mean buyer's remorse but it doesn't mean I don't have the right to gripe, maybe that's what will get the feature in the next model.

If it meant trading WR for a grip then the answer is a very loud NO! But the higher end brands suggest that trade is not necessary. In fact, given the naming scheme of the Pentax, the K-30 is not all that entry level, they just decided to stop making true entry level cameras and by default the K-30 became the new entry level. Even so, the K-200D was an entry level camera and it did have a grip (or so I read). The point is that having options is a good thing and that's what makes Canon number 1, only the 100D doesn't have a battery grip option. Look at the argument for lens, Oh Nikon has so many and Canon has so many but really, how many lens does the average pro own? Better yet, how many does the average pro use regularly? 3, 4 maybe 5? but the opportunity for choice is what is marketed right?

But I understand some people just come here to vent at others right? Come on now you can say it, it's OK, just let it all out :-)

Anyway I took some sunset shots with the camera and I'm loving it, but I'll still gripe. :-)
I guess the thing to me is just that if you want weather sealing and a grip, a used K5 will cost you 400-ish dollars, maybe a little less and I would have no trouble at all purchasing one of those over a new K30 if there were particular features about it that I needed, like a grip. Pentax has made their mid-level cameras awfully nice, putting in pretty fast frame rate, weather sealing, 100 percent penta prism viewfinder for a very reasonable price. I have no problem that they keep back a couple of features for their flagship models.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery grip., california, camera, charger, colorado, complaint, features, grip, grips, grocery, hell, hole, in-camera, k-3, k-30, k200d, mind, model, money, offense, oregon, pentax, phoenix, posts, rant, steve, students, team, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm new here systoro Welcomes and Introductions 3 03-06-2014 12:53 PM
Bonjour a tous! Je suis nouveau. Hi! I'm new here. Vallek Welcomes and Introductions 4 02-02-2014 03:34 AM
Hi..I'm A New Girls Here.. homeappliances Welcomes and Introductions 2 05-22-2012 03:53 AM
I bought a 5D Mark II and I am a little disappointed. montman Pentax DSLR Discussion 34 10-01-2010 05:55 PM
I'm new here, I have a problem J Merrill Welcomes and Introductions 2 06-06-2010 12:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top