Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

I'm new here and a little disappointed

Hi all,

I just picked up a K-30 (seemed Identical to the K-50 to me for less money) and I am so disappointed that there is no battery grip for this model. The most successful of the camera companies seems to be Canon and they provide grips for every model (except the 100 and EOS-Ms), what’s wrong with Pentax? Searching around I found a link where someone hacked together a grip but it kills the WR. Pentax needs to look to learn from the success of others and even if you don't want to do it yourself make it simple for third-parties to create grips by leaving contacts available as with the larger models. If it wasn't for the WR I would have looked elsewhere.

And don't say "just get a k-?), students and more so students from a developing country don't have money tossed at them at the end of each month, so no condescending thoughts.

Anyway, I'm still loving this camera. I seem to be able to get the images near perfect with in-camera settings. I'm starting to feel like I don't really need to shoot raw anymore. The K-30 is truly a revelation (but I need a @#%$ GRIP!).

06-20-2014, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wilton Quote
what’s wrong with Pentax?
Small camera companies like Pentax don't have the sales volume of the big brands, so their accessory lineup isn't as robust. I do agree that it's a mistake not to offer a grip for the K-30 though, since it is, after all, a mid-range body just like the K200D before it, which did have a grip.

If you absolutely need a grip: normally I'd recommend considering the K200D, as it's very affordable, but it's a dated body and you probably wouldn't be very happy with the image quality compared to your K-30. Perhaps it would be a better idea to swap your K-30 for a D5100 (which has the same great sensor) or a T3i (they're both about the same price second-hand, if not cheaper) and get the grip for that until you can afford one of the higher-end Pentax bodies like the K-5 or K-3.

But I think the best thing for you to do would be to focus on using small and light lenses, which is something Pentax offers plenty of. Examples would include the D 35mm, 50mm, 18-55, and 55-300mm. Then you won't need a grip

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I mean, you knew there was no grip going into it, right? What am I missing here?
06-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Give me weather sealing over a grip any day....

06-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

students from a developing country don't have money tossed at them at the end of each month, so no condescending thoughts.
Then why would they bother to buy a K-30 without doing an ounce of RESEARCH first to see if it fits their needs?

Your original post is rather condescending. Sounds more like buyer's remorse.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-20-2014 at 07:12 PM.
06-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is there a question, or just griping?

FYI, a lot of students from developed countries also "don't have money tossed at them at the end of every month." A lot of them (also non-students) don't even have dslrs. Too condescending?
06-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

One word before you buy: *Research*

06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yep you are right it is griping, but no gripe no change right? Weather sealing is the main reason for purchasing this camera and buyers remorse doesn't include loving the camera.

There is something about the way that Pentax does images, I can't explain it but it really is nice, It's not quite over-saturation but still vibrant and contrasty, it's just hard to explain and the ability to make those in-camera adjustments seems way beyond what nikon and canon at the lower level offers. But yeah, I'll continue to gripe about this grip thing. Until I can work my way to one of the big boys, hehe,
06-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everybody's use of a camera is different, but the two principal purposes of a grip are to extend the battery shooting capacity or to provide a greater surface area to comfortably hold the camera in one orientation or another. You haven't told us which of these apply in your case.

On battery capacity, some people will use the batteries harder than others, mainly with Live View or chimping, and to a lesser extent with AF and the use of power zoom lenses. I thought I'd principally need a grip for extended battery capacity, so I bought one with my K20D, and another with my K-5. In both cases, after a period of initial use I found I was leaving the grip behind more and more, and missing it less. A spare battery in the bag was a lot easier to carry, and my hands are not so large that I couldn't find a suitably comfortable way to hold the camera in any position. Needless to say, when I bought a K-3 I didn't bother spending the extra money on a grip.

However, your observation about the image quality produced by Pentax equipment is one most here would find no disagreement with. It's what's kept many of us dedicated to Pentax gear for a long time.
06-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Needless to say, when I bought a K-3 I didn't bother spending the extra money on a grip.
I did, even though I have not yet needed it. The only reason I have it is to give me the option of using AA batteries, something the K-30/K-50 can do without a grip.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
your observation about the image quality produced by Pentax equipment is one most here would find no disagreement with. It's what's kept many of us dedicated to Pentax gear for a long time
I'll agree with that.
06-20-2014, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #11

Oregon

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I did, even though I have not yet needed it. The only reason I have it is to give me the option of using AA batteries, something the K-30/K-50 can do without a grip.
That is why I love my K-30! AA Batteries Baby!

On a side note, OregonJim? Tell me -- how is Oregon? I am desperate to get out of the Hell Hole that is Phoenix, Arizona in the future and am trying to decide between Oregon, Colorado, or Hawaii -- I want the nature and need some Japanese grocery, etc. but do not want to live in the Almost worse hell hole that is California. No offense intended to the suffering masses in either of those hell holes.
06-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tkj365 Quote
On a side note, OregonJim? Tell me -- how is Oregon? I am desperate to get out of the Hell Hole that is Phoenix, Arizona in the future and am trying to decide between Oregon, Colorado, or Hawaii -- I want the nature and need some Japanese grocery, etc. but do not want to live in the Almost worse hell hole that is California. No offense intended to the suffering masses in either of those hell holes.
Well, there are quite a few forum members from Oregon. You might want to get their views as well. I am getting ready to leave the state after nearly 30 years. The weather has finally gotten to me. Everything in the western half of the state is lush green, but that comes at a price. I must say that our neighbors to the north in WA have it worse, precipitation-wise. The eastern half is all high desert. My target is New Hampshire, which looks a lot like western Oregon, but has far more distinct seasonal changes - and the rain does not last for months at a time.
06-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Anyway, I'm still loving this camera. I seem to be able to get the images near perfect with in-camera settings. I'm starting to feel like I don't really need to shoot raw anymore. The K-30 is truly a revelation (but I need a @#%$ GRIP!).
I'm glad you're getting such good photos. Perhaps it's because Pentax puts more features, capability and quality into their entry-level models than any other manufacturer.

I understand the benefit of a battery grip (it suddenly became important to me a couple of years ago) but you're getting more camera for your money than any other brand would give you in the first place! So unless you're taking 1000+ photos in portrait orientation within a few hours (e.g. event photography) - where your arm gets so tired you think it's almost ready to fall off - I'm not sure I'd complain. Unfortunately, if a grip is one of your highest priorities you'll have to look elsewhere.

The K200D Adam mentioned is extremely affordable, and I think you'd actually be happy with the Image Quality provided you don't need high ISO or faster AF. Of course, some people do require these, which is probably the reason for his remark. Nevertheless, I still have my K200D because the IQ is very good (sometimes even preferable!) under the right conditions.

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 09:04 PM ----------

There is something about the way that Pentax does images, I can't explain it but it really is nice, It's not quite over-saturation but still vibrant and contrasty, it's just hard to explain and the ability to make those in-camera adjustments seems way beyond what nikon and canon at the lower level offers.
Yes, and they do this in both their cameras and their lenses.

No offense taken - I'm a native of this "hell hole" called California that's always been a favorite place for Japanese to live and raise their children (such as many of my classmates growing up). Actually, I was even offended by your saying that about Phoenix, AZ - and I've never even lived there! Unless you're literally talking about the heat only. Honestly, if there's not somewhere you like in California I wonder what's wrong with you. You don't have to like the nicer Southern California beaches where I live, but there's the Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, the ski resorts, the central coast, the high desert, San Diego, Yosemite, ... there's got to be somewhere you like! It's just a guess, but I think you'll find fewer Japanese grocery stores in Colorado!

Anyhow, you may indeed need to move away from there - especially if you're in a bad neighborhood or household. But are you prepared to be happy elsewhere? Has it worked in the past? If so you should make the change right away, but if not ...
06-20-2014, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On a side note, OregonJim? Tell me -- how is Oregon?
Consensus up this way is that we answer all inquiries with language indicating that we have lost all notion of sunlight and that for photography we practice using the rainy 5.6 rule for exposure, but only in the summer time. In the winter everything is done with flash or long exposures on a tripod.

For the OP: In regards to the battery grip. I have been shooting my K10D for the last 7 years without a grip and often thought it would be nice. I made sure that I ordered my new K-3 with grip and was pretty jazzed when the package came and I could try it out. I mounted it to the camera and found that the reality was not worth the extra bulk. I sold it a few weeks later without it ever leaving the kitchen table.

If you are concerned about battery capacity, carry an extra in the bag or your pocket. You will likely find that you never need it. FWIW, in 7 years of ownership and regular use I have never had my K10D battery die during a session. Your K-30 gets at least as much use from a full charge. If you just want the grip for the vertical hold, it is my opinion that option is highly overrated. Your K-30 is a sports car, why saddle it with a bolt-on camper.

Steve
06-20-2014, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
we practice using the rainy 5.6 rule
I shall refrain from drinking coffee while reading your posts from now on. Luckily, my monitor needed cleaning anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, in 7 years of ownership and regular use I have never had my K10D battery die during a session.
It has happened to me once or twice with the K-3. No biggie as I carry a spare battery. But, I have an irrational fear of reliance on proprietary batteries. In the event of a Far East earthquake or nuclear meltdown (which wipes out the battery factories), the grip gives me peace of mind that I can walk into the nearest 7-11 for AA's and keep my gear going.