Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

K30 to K5II - - what say ??

Hello all
Ok.. so I had a K30 for the past few months which I was way more than pleased with - it was my first SLR and the size, weight and grip (AND shape!!) all seemed as if tailor made for my small hands. However, owing to a technical glitch ( even on the 'M' setting on the mode dial it would still operate on TAV) I decided to send it back to the online retailer; incidently this was the second K30 from the very retailer that was delivered to me which I sent back- the first one was returned for replacement becuase there was something very audible shifting noise while handling it. (has anyone else experienced these defects ??)

As I said I was much more than happy with it and the results it produced - i mostly did portraits. (FA 50mm 1.4 - is all I have at the moment)
Owing to- two not so satisfactory technical experiences with the K30 - I've decided to move up to K5II - it's yet to arrive though - should be here tomorrow and I'm itching to go clicking !
Here's the question ( and a niggling quiet dillema which has been bugging me of sorts - )
Considering I'm totally new to SLR photography - have i made a good choice of change from K30 to K5 II or have I only spent some extra bucks for not much reason ??

All Feedbacks are highly appreciated !

Best regards
Sumit Floyd Chaterji

06-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The TAV bug is a leftover from the K-01 but you can find out the solutions here on the forum. The shifting noise is the shake reduction as the sensor is floating, so there was nothing wrong with the camera.
06-22-2014, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sumit Floyd Chaterji Quote
incidently this was the second K30 from the very retailer that was delivered to me which I sent back- the first one was returned for replacement becuase there was something very audible shifting noise while handling it. (has anyone else experienced these defects ??)
Not a defect, completely normal for all Pentax DSLRs with mechanical SR.

06-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You definitely won't hear a shifting noise with the K5 ll.

06-22-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You definitely won't hear a shifting noise with the K5 ll.
When in liveview and when shutdown you do, for sure.
06-22-2014, 04:37 AM   #6

I think that given that K30 is not that far apart from K5II the difference in the output will not be that visible (don't they share the same sensor anyway?). A much better (and long lasting) investment would have been a quality prime lens such as FA43. In my case this lens made much more difference than changing the body - 50mm A 1.7 => FA43 and K10D => K01.
06-22-2014, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Not a defect, completely normal for all Pentax DSLRs with mechanical SR.

Considering the OP had a shifting noise in the first camera and not the second would indicate they truly had a faulty item. I also do not hear anything with my two cameras.

IQ improvements will be negligible, but handling and ergonomics will be much improved. These things can make the experience of taking photos more enjoyable. As much as I liked my K30, I love holding my K3.

06-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
When in liveview and when shutdown you do, for sure.
Sure in liveview the noise is from the mirror which even then is less noise than on my K50, not the loud known clattering noise from the SR type when it's activated per the discussion, and when I shut my k5 lls off I barely hear anything if any, not so with my K50.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-22-2014 at 05:43 AM.
06-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
However, owing to a technical glitch ( even on the 'M' setting on the mode dial it would still operate on TAV)
I've only seen this happen if you change ISO to the auto setting (the screen will change to say TAv). If you set ISO yourself, it stays as M.
06-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Sure in liveview the noise is from the mirror which even then is less noise than on my K50, not the loud known clattering noise from the SR type when it's activated per the discussion, and when I shut my k5 lls off I barely hear anything if any, not so with my K50.
You can hear the SR too in liveview. Just take the lens off and look at the sensor while moving the camera around and you can see the sensor move and some sound is coherent with the movement. When off just tilt the camera and the sensor will clonk around.
06-22-2014, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have i made a good choice of change from K30 to K5 II
Well, you'll lose the focus peaking.

If you never used it on the K-30, fine,
but since I learned to appreciate it on the K-01,
it is one of the most valuable features of my recent K-50 purchase.

For example, with focus peaking,
you can use a lens like the A50/1.2 to its full potential.
06-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You can hear the SR too in liveview. Just take the lens off and look at the sensor while moving the camera around and you can see the sensor move and some sound is coherent with the movement. When off just tilt the camera and the sensor will clonk around.
That's a lot to have to do to hear a sound and I really don't need to have a peek inside to see if the sensor moves..I think I'll leave my lens on and not move my camera around to hear a noise also, so I'll stay with barely audable, it still is not even close to the sound the k30 or k50 make.