Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I am new to the forum.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have only just discovered it.

I have a Pentax k5 camera and I have just bought a Pentax k3 with its grip. Unfortunately, the K3 is giving some issues that need fixing. My first K3 body chewed up two cards and wouldn't save photos. I have a replacement now but it doesn't want to switch on with its db5 grip fitted. Taking the grip off and battery out to switch it on is getting a bit wearisome. I must admit though I love the photographs I am getting from the K3 and I am hoping the shop I bought it from will come up with a solution.

06-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Maeluk Quote
I have a Pentax k5 camera and I have just bought a Pentax k3 with its grip. Unfortunately, the K3 is giving some issues that need fixing. My first K3 body chewed up two cards and wouldn't save photos. I have a replacement now but it doesn't want to switch on with its db5 grip fitted. Taking the grip off and battery out to switch it on is getting a bit wearisome. I must admit though I love the photographs I am getting from the K3 and I am hoping the shop I bought it from will come up with a solution.
Upgrade your firmware, as the grip power issue was resolved in v 1.02:

Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.02 Released - Firmware Updates - PF Blog

Also, if you're having card issues, it's a good idea to format your cards in-camera. For good performance with the K-3, you should be using a card that's at least class 10, but preferably UHS-I with a write speed of at least 30Mb/s.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that K-3 once you've overcome the teething issues on shake down.
06-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Maeluk Quote
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have only just discovered it.

I am using a Scandisk extreme pro 32 gig card which is very fast. I believe the write speed is nearer to 90 mb/s. I have a flu card in the second card slot. Both cards have been formatted in camera. I have already installed the firmware update to 1.02 but the grip issue is still there as it is refusing to start up since the update with the grip attached but works fine without it mounted. Strangely re-attach the grip and it will switch on for a while.