Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #1

Blue cast using M prime lenses on K500

Hi,
I've have a Pentax ME (not the super) with 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8, and 120mm f2.8 lenses. I bought a K-500 to be able to use the lenses with a digital back. I followed the setup help I found on this forum, and it works fine, except that there seems to be a blue cast over all photos taken with the M series lenses compared to the kit DAL lens. Did I miss a setting (white point or something)? Or is it just the way the camera displays the image?

06-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it may pay you to repost your question in the Lens section of the forum where you have a far better chance of getting the answers you require.
06-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by martbev Quote
Hi,
I've have a Pentax ME (not the super) with 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8, and 120mm f2.8 lenses. I bought a K-500 to be able to use the lenses with a digital back. I followed the setup help I found on this forum, and it works fine, except that there seems to be a blue cast over all photos taken with the M series lenses compared to the kit DAL lens. Did I miss a setting (white point or something)? Or is it just the way the camera displays the image?
Also, be sure to upload some samples.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by martbev Quote
Hi,
Did you compare the DAL to the M lenses under the same lighting conditions and on multiple days? Does sun, shade, and indoors give a similar blue cast?

Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? If RAW, what software are you using?

What is the white balance setting on your K-500? Auto should give reasonably good results in most lighting conditions.

And, as already mentioned, sample photos are very helpful to diagnose issues.

06-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have some M lenses that render a bit blue. I shoot raw and fix it in Lightroom.
06-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too have noticed the blue cast of M glass.. I have M 40mm f2.8 and M 85mm f2.0 and both exhibit this, particularly in highlights - I treat it like PF/CA and correct it in post.
06-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since this thread is taking on the flavor of a poll, I will add my lenses to the tally. Neither my M 50/1.7 nor my M200/4 have a blue cast, though it would not surprise me if other lenses in the series rendered that way. Few, if any, lenses are completely neutral in regards to color and it is seldom as simple as a general cast. As noted above, the solution is to correct in PP.

Steve

06-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Since this thread is taking on the flavor of a poll, I will add my lenses to the tally.
Ok, guess I will, too. My M 50/1.4 does have a slight blue shift. S/N 7180xxx. I don't even bother to correct for it, unless skin tones are present. None of my other M's do this, as far as I can remember. The SMC coatings went through several formula changes in those days - I wouldn't be surprised if this was a characteristic of a specific coating formula.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-22-2014 at 11:23 PM.
06-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I have M 40mm f2.8 and M 85mm f2.0 and both exhibit this, particularly in highlights
I just took color charts with both of these lenses in hazy sun, using the K-01 in raw+jpg
Indeed, the eyedroppers of both ufraw ( on the raw) and gimp ( on the jpg) report a slight cast of blue.
I checked some of the grays and the red patches

The 1:2 85mm raw, then jpg
https://app.box.com/s/uqrejz9uetc9p02a9uja
https://app.box.com/s/8ytbvdenjkafr2ry983x

The 1:2.8 40mm
https://app.box.com/s/iichwn6ghdqkhgzfq1yw
https://app.box.com/s/zh568nn45la3ahzri62d
06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'll just say welcome aboard as you've enough replies of a technical nature to be getting on with.
06-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I'll add that where I have duplicate focal lengths, my M lenses render cooler (blue) than their K counterparts (yellow) and I've known it for many years.
06-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. I will post sample photos tomorrow. I took a few shots in the same lighting conditions to compare the kit lens with the M lenses, both outdoors (full light) and indoors (low light). There was a pronounced blue cast in neutral (gray) areas. I shot with the factory defaults, so auto white balance and shooting jpeg.
I was wondering if I had missed something in the setup, but it looks like it's a characteristic of the lenses. Thanks again for clarifying it.