Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Hi, new guy here--

Hi all,

I've been taking photos for many years. Some of you can guess my age when I say my last SLR was a Nikon 6006. Then film died. My first SLR was an ME Super, which I still have and love. I have always had a thing for Pentax and Olympus cameras especially. My last film point-and-shoot was also a Pentax. Right now I'm working with an Olympus micro four thirds system, but I'm looking for a DSLR finally. I am intrigued with Pentax especially because the shake reduction is in the camera body. I also know Pentax glass is generally great. I have questions about the backward compatibility of the K mount, but I'm sure there is plenty to read about that. I love the idea of using my first 50mm lens today.

Despite discussing equipment first, I feel that the equipment should do what it does and stay out of my way so I can see. Photography's all about seeing things your way, and your way is probably different than my way and everybody else's. It's endlessly fascinating.

So I look forward to browsing the forums, and in my heart I hope I'll get a Pentax DSLR soon.

06-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome.

I believe the Nikon 6006 was made in the early 90s. Before I went to a Pentax DSLR my SLR was a Canon AE-1 program - early 80s so does that make me older?

You are right the camera is just a tool at the end of the day but its also true that some cameras suit some photographers better than others.

In summary Pentax does a pretty good job with lens compatibility. All old (F and FA) SLR auto focus lenses work perfectly well on modern Pentax DSLRs. A series lenses (manual focus) work well - auto aperture and focus confirmation. Old K mount lenses (K and M series) also have focus confirm but need to be stop down metered (generally put the camera in Manual mode and press the green button is what it takes). And of course SR works for everything.
Even the old M42 screw mount lenses can be used with an adapter ring and they are lovely lenses to operate.
06-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, backwards lens compatibility (albeit with some limitations) is a Pentax owners bonus.
06-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
lenses

Thanks for the info on lenses. I was looking in the basement, and I found a bunch of Mamiya screw-mount lenses. Need to see if those work.

I've had a chance to look around here some more. This is a really good forum!

06-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

Hello lightbender, and welcome to the forum!

I own a ME super, too, and I still enjoy taking her out for a nice little photo trip. That means I also have some older lenses. I am using them on a K-x and (since yesterday) on a K-3. I am absolutely happy with them and never experienced any problems. I sometimes use catch-in focus for the manual focus-only lenses. I think that all newer Pentax DSLR's come with that feature, but you should better check that if you are interested in using it.

Have the Mamiya lenses M42 screw-mounts? There are a lot of Pentax K - M42 adapters available. I have read quite often that many adapters can make problems (jamming the bayonet, no infinity focusing), though. The genuine Pentax adapter is usually regarded as expensive, but very good and not leading to any problems. If you have a particular adapter in mind, be sure to chek the web for other people's experiences.
06-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congrats on your new K-3. Yes, my Mamiya lenses are screw-mount. I'll look into adapters--thanks for the info!