Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

General Bull

I am Barry Darnell. I got my pentax camera in 1970. I used it to make slides while I was in Spain (Navy). I made a lot of slides that I have since bought a 35 MM slide scanner. We never made anything but slides because they were the cheapest way to go. Over the past few years I have been wanting to update to a DSLR. I have been looking at the K3 because I understand that I can use the lens from my old camera with it. I would also like to add GPS tagging to it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryDarnell Quote
I would also like to add GPS tagging to it.
You would need the O-GPS1 accessory:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit - Introduction - PF Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hey, so someone may know more than me, but the older pentax slr you had may have had the older mount type, if thats the case, you would just have to get an adapter and it would be good to go. As for the gps, thats something I always wanted with my camera, but I couldn't afford the pentax brand gps. I did a lot of research over a very long time and found this: Product Information - MobileAction

I got that for around 60 USD, and it works very well. It can also be used with any camera.

hope that helped.
06-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening - and Welcome to the Forum.

I picked up my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic IIa in the Canal Zone while in the Navy in 1971. I still have it and use it occasionally. The viewfinder is wonderful! It uses the M42 screw mount. To use the older M42 lenses on the new K dSLR bodies you need a Pentax K mount to M43 lens adapter. They run around $30 or so - probably more now. Here is everything you need to know about them...I have the original Tak 55/f1.8 and a stunning Auto Tak 85/f1.8, both of which work perfectly fine on my newer K5.

06-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I feel pretty sure you wont regret buying a K-3, go for it.