Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Intro

Hi everyone,

My name is Angel Rooney. I've been a fan of the site since I bought K-30 earlier this year. I got into Pentax from a friend, John, while on leave from the Marine Corps. He showed me some of his work that he did with his *ist DL, and it blew my mind. I had no idea about cameras at that point so when I asked what should I get to take pictures like his he suggested Pentax. I was stationed in Iwakuni, Japan during 2012 and I was pretty bored so for Christmas, I walk in to my exchange store looking to find a camera. It just so happened that the exchange had a K-r and 2 lens kit. I got my K-r kit and started shooting, and my stuff came out like crap. I had no idea what I was doing, so I shelved it. Almost a year later I was being sent to Thailand for an operation to build a school in a pretty rural part of Thailand. So I get to thinking I would love to take a ton of pictures but I don't to use my phone because that's not REAL pictures, especially if I was going to such an awesome place. I dig up my K-r, and after talking with John, decided to give it another try. Since I had sometime before I left I took a trip to a Hard-offs, which is a chain of Japanese second hand stores. I see they have glass for Pentax for super cheap and snatch up what every they had. I head off to Thailand with most of my lenses still untested but why not give them a proper field test. In my flurry of lens buying I picked up a Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, my first prime lens, and OH MY GOD did this lens change my life. This single lens blew me away and instantly made me a fan of what Pentax cameras could do. I was in Thailand for about a month total and when I got there my K-r had about 200ish shots fired. When I left I had taken about 5600 pictures. I was sold! My K-r had served me well during that time, unfortunately about a month after getting back my K-r developed the dreaded mirror flop issue. Although it sucked to see my K-r sinking fast, there was hope! I was on the look out for something to take my photography to a little bit more advanced level. While checking out a local Kitamura Camera I saw a second hand K-30 with 18-130WR kit for sale for only $580. I HAD to have it! I raced home and took all my loose change that I was saving up for my K-r replacement and bought this baby. Having now bought 2 Pentax cameras I was beginning to start a trend that made me a raging Pentaxian. Since my K-30 I've bought a Q, which I adore. The real turning point was when I came home and spent some time with my buddy John this year after getting new orders to Camp Lejeune, NC. We talked a lot about being fans of Pentax and he asked why I never shot film. I told him honestly I didn't feel confident I could see a shot and guess how to get correct exposures since I'm so used to digital doing all the guess work while in AV mode. I felt like a complete idiot when he explained that cameras like the K1000 have light meters build in and all you have to do is get the needle to be in the middle. I instantly went on craigslist and picked up a K1000 and it was to die for. I finally found out what all the hype was about. I needed more though! I picked up a Pentax ME for about 60 bucks at a local camera shop and sped through a few rolls of film. I was hooked, and the kicker was that all those lenses I got in Japan were all meant for 35mm. Which bring me to today, joining the forums and looking to expand my love for Pentax even more with such an awesome community all fighting for the same underdog that is Pentax. Thanks, and happy shooting!

---------- Post added 06-26-14 at 09:50 PM ----------

Almost forgot to include my Flickr incase anyone wanted to see how far I've come from my crap days to slightly less crap days

https://www.flickr.com/photos/odinkos/

Here is my friend John's Flickr as well, since he essentially made me the Pentaxian I am today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/panch22/

Thanks again everyone!

06-26-2014, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's terrific photos here. You're really observant. You seem to find photo opportunities in a wide range of situations. And suddenly I'm a MarryCheWide fan.
06-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Paragraphs, dude, paragraphs!

Yeah, if you didn't grow up using film cameras it's a real revelation - the huge viewfinder with split focus screen and the simplicity of controls. Of course, you can still screw up shots, but there's something really satisfying about it. The Pentax system with two control wheels and manual controls does bring a lot of that feel back, but we all miss the huge viewfinders.
06-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Paragraphs, dude, paragraphs!
I know! I saw as soon as I posted that it was a wall of text, sorry. I tried to edit it but the whole one day wait thing held me back. I so agree through, large viewfinders, split focus screens, not motor driving through 100 shots just because you can. It's really refreshing to get back to the basics. I really see the reasons why if you had an old Pentax film camera to begin with you stick with Penatx as a brand.

06-27-2014, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, my word that was some intro, verging on the epic, tough going but I survived to the end.