Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I will be playing with the camera for the next few weeks before I try and do some really critical stuff. If I find that I can"t get the results I want I will sale this one and pick up a K50. I am also a bit concerned that I have the S version. i.e. no low pass filter. I assume I can correct anything in the darkroom that I need to (computer), my old school ways pocking out. I am learning a lot form the conversation

07-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 IIs

QuoteOriginally posted by christineart Quote
I will be playing with the camera for the next few weeks before I try and do some really critical stuff. If I find that I can"t get the results I want I will sale this one and pick up a K50. I am also a bit concerned that I have the S version. i.e. no low pass filter. I assume I can correct anything in the darkroom that I need to (computer), my old school ways pocking out. I am learning a lot form the conversation

If you are referring to the camera you just purchased as the K5 IIs, then I am assuming presuming that you are concerned about moire as they took out the AA filter. This results in sharper images but at a cost of producing moire on RARE occasions - but it really depends on which subject you are shooting. From what I have gathered in the Forum and from research on the internet, this is a result of the combination of a very sharp lens and certain elements in the image where there is a repeated pattern in found in some fabrics and certain architectural elements. So I guess what I am trying to say is unless the subjects you are trying to shoot has these elements in them, then I would not worry too much about them and start enjoying your K5 IIs!

From my shooting with the camera since I acquired ~ 2 yrs ago, I really had to go out of my way to find Moire in the images that I took with my K5IIs and my Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 - shot a scene in my back yard through a screen window, roofs of bulidings, plaid fabrics etc. - could not find any that would be a distraction in my images (I shoot to print 8X10's / 8X12's and 13 X 19's).

The PF in-depth reviews touches on the moire possibility of the K5IIs (see link below)
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PF Reviews

The links below has a fair explanation of the moire phenomenon and relating it to the K5II and the K5IIs
Moire Hunt with the Pentax K-5 IIs and K-5 II | Neocamera
Pentax K-5 II and IIs review: Does removing the antialiasing filter make for better photos?

The PF links below discusses this phenomenon in more detail ....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/226999-k-5-iis-m...otography.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/211525-k-5-iis-moire-found.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/204341-real-life-moire-example-k-5-iis.html

This thread discusses removing moire during pp ...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/1...-iis-moir.html

I guess what I am trying to say that although finding moire in your images is a remote possibility, it is not a deal breaker as on those very rare occasions that pop up, the moire could be fixed in pp. IMO, the resulting sharper images, are worth it.
07-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went for decades of using a K1000before moving to a K-5. The best advice I have is shoot using only manual settings, and practice. It's nice to be able to use my old Pentax lenses, and I've gotten a few used manual lenses since buying the K-5. I make sure to get used glass with an "A" or automatic aperture setting, it makes it easier to get light readings.

Enjoy.!
07-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes flixter416 it is the AA I was referring to and I will follow all the links you listed. Your comments are a relief, I will be using manual lenses. I will be doing photograph in the colorado High country year around and in all sorts of wether. Also I will be shooting my paintings.

robgski I will be doing the same thing I love my manual lenses I have collected a number of good lenses over the years that I am excited to use with my new camera.

07-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes flixter416 it is the AA I was referring to and I will follow all the links you listed. Your comments are a relief, I will be using manual lenses. I will be doing photograph in the colorado High country year around and in all sorts of wether. Also I will be shooting my paintings.

robgski I will be doing the same thing I love my manual lenses I have collected a number of good lenses over the years that I am excited to use with my new camera.
You are most welcome christineart. From my experience with using some of my legacy Pentax glass that there is a small chance of ghosting (and flare at times) will appear in some of your digital images taken with your K5 IIs. I found shooting with a lens hood helps. The newer digital lenses have a coating on them to help minimize the ghosting.

Which Legacy Pentax lenses are you using?
07-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Flixter :-) I will need to pick up additional items for the camera, Like extra batteries, I was looking on line and noticed that Wasabi batteries are not to expensive, anyone know how well they perform to the OEM batteries from Pentax? and is there any other items that I should get?
07-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Batteries

Thanks, Flixter :-) I will need to pick up additional items for the camera, Like extra batteries, I was looking on line and noticed that Wasabi batteries are not to expensive, anyone know how well they perform to the OEM batteries from Pentax? and is there any other items that I should get?

I have used 3rd party LiOn batteries on my Q7. They did not last as long but they worked fine - just had to recharge them more often. I finally had to buy the 2 Pentax LiOn as I was chewing through the batteries quickly.

Do you know how 'used' your K5 IIs is? (If not, no big issue, use the link below from one of our PF members. All you have to do is to take a picture with your K5IIs and upload the file .... assuming -of course - that the battery that comes with the camera is the original) The only reason I ask is that the more the camera is used (higher actuations) the more the life of the battery is shortened. If the number of actuations is getting up there (say ~ 8K+ ??? .... other more experienced PF members might have a better idea than myself) you are going to get much less than the stated # of shots. If this is the case, you might considering buying a new Pentax battery as there is nothing more frustrating than having your day cut short because you ran out of juice - twice! At least this way, you have one battery that would last all day of shooting. If it is low, then you should be ok with Wasabi.

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

As for other things you might need .... have you considered replacing the camera strap? A lot of people usually overlook this, but I find that the supplied Pentax Strap is too narrow and digs into my neck. After a couple hours of shooting, I find that it chafes my skin due to the weight of the camera and lens (this is when I usually really appreciate the light weight design of the K1000!!!) Now-a-days we have options galore for every shooting style that you like.

Cheers!