Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Introducing Myself

My real name is Marc. I am an amateur photographer hobbyist. I just bought a mint Pentax 100d DSLR with lens, and external Pentax flash from Ebay having read so many glowing reviews about it as far as results right out of the box. I used to own a Pentax Super Program, SF-10, and SF-1 but then sold them to get a Canon, Nikon, and ultimately a Minolta SLR which I still own.

I had several Sony DSLR's but they started to annoy me as far as they could never handle reds and greens well unless I adjusted settings, and by the time I made the adjustments, the moment for the shot disappears. The lesson I learned is that one could talk all day about megapixels, and shutter speeds, and internal processor speed but the key is the ability to process, and interpret what the eye sees. Usually, they do not talk about this in the literature.

I am very happy with the K100d but I just recently noticed some dirt, and a hair fragment in the viewfinder, I always like my viewfinders to be clean so I am not distracted. I tried blowing out the dust with compressed air, which seemed to work, as I did not notice anything further. The next day, I noticed some other specks, and then that hair again. I was going to leave it alone but knowing that it was there, started to annoy me again. So, what did I do? Removed the focusing screen, and blew that out with air. Reinserted, and now all the dust is gone but that scratch or hair like mark is still there at the lower bottom above the info display. No dust or hair marks appear on any images. I know, you will all tell me that I am crazy, and should just leave the focus screen alone. I guess, too much pride in my equipment. I even started to think about buying a new focus screen. I need to keep telling myself, this is not a perfect worldlol.

Anyway, you have my confession. Redeem me(lol)!. Thanks.

06-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I must admit I don't touch anything until it actually affects the image coming out of the camera.
06-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome on board, glad that you could join us.
07-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Marc! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

07-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #5

Hello and welcome to the world of Pentax.
I hope you will learn a lot and have even more fun in this group.
07-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the inspiration !
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. The K100D is a nice little camera - my wife uses mine these days & she was also a Sony dslr shooter. You might take a look here if you havent already: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/234878-appreciate-k100d.html

I would hesitate blowing compressed air into any camera - who knows what kinds of residue the propellant leaves behind! If I blow air into the camera I only use a rocket blower while pointing the camera down, to let any dirt or dust fall out. A little dust or even hair in the viewfinder is fairly normal, so don't let it bother you too much.