Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello From Toronto Canada

Hello,

I am new a new forum member but have been shooting Pentax off and on for the last while.

I learned to shoot on a K1000 in High School but had to take some time off from photography when I did not have access to a dark room anymore (Just got too expensive). Got back into Digital photography with Nikon D5000 but found the experience a little 'un-natural'. Tried the micro 4/3 route with the Panasonic GH2 and the Olympus OMD E-M5 (and I still shoot with the Olly every once and a while) which were a better experience than the Nikon but something wasn't quite right (not horrible mind you - just different)

Finally got back to Pentax with the K5 IIs and loving the whole shooting experience again! So much that I bought the Q when it was on a fire sale. Picked up the Q7 from B&H when I went to NYC a year back and recently bought the Ricoh GR.

As you can tell I suffer from new-digital-equipment-itis! I also dabble with the Nikon 1 System with the V1 (bought it at fire sale prices again for $200) and also with the V2.

Cheers and glad to be part of the forum!

06-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the PF family, always good to dabble a little, but glad you came back home to Pentax.
If you like the K5iis, you will love the K3.
06-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, interesting equipment mix you've got going on there.
06-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
Welcome to the PF family, always good to dabble a little, but glad you came back home to Pentax.
If you like the K5iis, you will love the K3.
Thanks for the warm welcome JayBee. I love shooting with the K5iis. Can't wait to try the K3 out with the 24MP sensor with my current K mount glass (pentax ltd 21, ltd 15, ltd 70, 18-135 wr, tamron 17-50 2.8, 70-200 2.8, sigma 10-20).

One thing that I am wondering though, with the larger resolution (from 16 to 24MP) I have heard that any flaws/ imperfections inherent in the lens design will manifest itself in the photos taken. I was wondering if you have or any K3 users out there have noticed that this is the case when they switched camera bodies?

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, interesting equipment mix you've got going on there.
Thanks for the welcome Kerrowdown! I must admit that I am addicted to new camera equipment. My preference for equipment is weight (as light as possible) and competence for the project at hand.

I love shooting with my Pentax K5iis for my "serious" photographic projects. However, if I am up and around and about my go to gear is the Q7 and the Ricoh GR (for those low light situations where even the Q's 01 lens struggles). I also use my Q for some planet astro photography (I use the Kmount to Q mount adapter and an old sigma 70-300 mm lens - got the idea from the PF right here - a special shout out and THANKS to the "reach of the Q" forum members !!!)

I use the Nikon 1 gear when fast focusing, high frame rate (around 15 frames per second or so), and reach is required. I use this equipment configuration when taking photographs of animals at the zoo and at sporting events.

Lately, I have been dabbling with the Samsung NX1000 (on sale for $180 at Canada computers in Toronto). Large APS-C sensor in a small and light Camera body. Just ordered some fast pancake (16mm, 20mm, 30mm) lenses from amazon. Trying to see if this set up will fill my needs for travel to Europe replace my m4/3 gear.