Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 02:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Meriden Connecticut USA

I just bought a Pentax K-x body on eBay for $205.00 and I already owned a Tamron 28-80 Aspherical zoom lens. $50 buy on eBay. It's not the best, so I went ahead and got the Kit 18-55 smc Pentax lens, used for $39 on Camera Exchange. I love my outfit so far, although I may need some help from you guys on how to properly clean my sensor. I am noticing some dust spots on it, that I have to heal in photoshop, and It's mostly noticeable when there is a lot of sky in my images. The Dust shaker doesn't seem to remove the small spots I have a lot of the time. And I'm afraid of damaging the sensor. My focusing screen also has a finger print on it, that is annoying when using the viewfinder, and I don't know how to clean the focusing screen either. But, I have been able to produce some outstanding images with the Kit lens and even the Tamron. The camera seems to have it's own mind when it comes to focusing on occasion. I've used all the focus settings including the 11 auto, 5 auto, and even the one single. It doesn't seem to show me in the viewfinder, which focus point it is using. I don't know if if is a setting or if the camera just doesn't have that feature of lighting up the part of the viewfinder that the camera selects to focus on. I have some bad results because of this. But, all in all, I am getting used to this body. The first thing I did was update the firmware to 1.03, as it was still on 1.00 when I purchased the used body.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-29-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Uneeded link removed
06-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome and nice first image Mark. Looking forward to seeing more. You'll probably find a good post on sensor cleaning here.
06-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by markb455 Quote
doesn't seem to show me in the viewfinder, which focus point it is using
Welcome to the forum, I knew there was a reason for using manual glass, just couldn't put my finger on it.
06-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

It doesn't seem to show me in the viewfinder, which focus point it is using. I don't know if if is a setting or if the camera just doesn't have that feature of lighting up the part of the viewfinder that the camera selects to focus on.
Hi and welcome to the forum :-)

The K-x dosn't have this feature. However, I feel like this is the only real drawback for this camera; I have used a K-x myself until recently, and I still find it a very good camera. For 205 $ it's definitely a lot of camera for the money. I think that overall you will enjoy your K-x!

12-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
I just bought a Pentax K-x body on eBay for $205.00 and I already owned a Tamron 28-80 Aspherical zoom lens. $50 buy on eBay. It's not the best, so I went ahead and got the Kit 18-55 smc Pentax lens, used for $39 on Camera Exchange. I love my outfit so far, although I may need some help from you guys on how to properly clean my sensor. I am noticing some dust spots on it, that I have to heal in photoshop, and It's mostly noticeable when there is a lot of sky in my images. The Dust shaker doesn't seem to remove the small spots I have a lot of the time. And I'm afraid of damaging the sensor. My focusing screen also has a finger print on it, that is annoying when using the viewfinder, and I don't know how to clean the focusing screen either. But, I have been able to produce some outstanding images with the Kit lens and even the Tamron. The camera seems to have it's own mind when it comes to focusing on occasion. I've used all the focus settings including the 11 auto, 5 auto, and even the one single. It doesn't seem to show me in the viewfinder, which focus point it is using. I don't know if if is a setting or if the camera just doesn't have that feature of lighting up the part of the viewfinder that the camera selects to focus on. I have some bad results because of this. But, all in all, I am getting used to this body. The first thing I did was update the firmware to 1.03, as it was still on 1.00 when I purchased the used body.
Thank You to you guys who replied. I am very excited about my K-x, and take it with me wherever I go. I have a small Gorilla Tri-pod that I use on occasion, since I'm still using only the two lenses. Most commonly the Kit lens. I've learned so much more in Lightroom and PS, that I feel I'm getting the hang of this set up. One day, I would really like to have some finer glass to use and maybe another Pentax Body with some WR to it. But I really like that my K-x uses the AA batteries, and I always have a set of freshly charged ones in my bag. Thank you for the inspiration.